The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Donf, Hotrod Lincoln, MikeStone1953, GMCJammer51, 2 invisible), 134 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,633
Posts1,005,942
Members44,985
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
You ever get on the wrong road and have
#1305139 Fri Mar 29 2019 01:18 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
'Bolter
a heck of a time getting off ?

Well years ago I owned a 73 Chevy pickup and it had a small 14 gallon tank for gas.. 1974 was the year this happened

I was headed home from Russellville Arkansas and wanted to go through Wichita Kansas up to Salina and get on I-70 and head west on my way home to Oregon .

But.. I missed a sign and wound up on the Kansas turnpike and no way to get off for miles and then I seen a guy at a guard station across the highway from me .. I stopped and walked across the turnpike and ask when and where I could get off and not have to go any further as I was low on gas.

He told me that he could take down the cable on my side of the highway and let me through it . He said for me to just follow the farmers fields and I would wind up over on the highway that would take me to Salina ..

After paying him for the amount of highway use ,,he let me through and thats when I found that rural roads were not straight by no means , the old farmers roads went around , not across ,, All Square ,which took me twice a far as if they were straight across.. must of been a hour of this driving like on city streets, except dirt not paved ..The needle on gas guage was almost burried on empty ,,but I made it .

Any one on this forum live near the place I mentioned .with the cable guy .. Is it still a highway you pay to use?

Last edited by idaho39; Sat Mar 30 2019 12:41 PM.

Directions are just another mans Opinion

Re: You ever get on the wrong road and have
idaho39 #1305144 Fri Mar 29 2019 01:49 PM
C
'Bolter
The original pitch on the Kansas Turnpike (I35) was it would be a toll road until it was paid for and then become a freeway. Oklahoma and Missouri followed the plan and became freeways once paid for but Kansas go addicted to the tolls and will NEVER become a freeway. Yes it is still the same only with worse road surface and higher tolls. A saving grace is the speed limit was either 80 or 85 the last time I traveled it.

Evan
idaho39 #1305148 Fri Mar 29 2019 02:02 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
The tolls weren't too bad until the state starting using the toll money to pad the state's general fund instead of just using to for turnpike maintenance and improvement. Now they are pretty high. They charge by the number of axles. When I'm pulling my trailer I'll drive miles out of the way to avoid the toll and it's still cheaper than paying the toll.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
idaho39 #1305149 Fri Mar 29 2019 02:03 PM
W
'Bolter
My trips anywhere lead to misadventures and misdirection. As most are aware I am not a computer guy and my cell phone might as well be designated a computer. If I don't use a feature regularly I forget where it is. Last year on the way to KC I missed my turn off and spent an hour backtracking across country trying to find the place I wanted to stop at. Then while I was there I spent a lot of time wandering around trying to find the hotel. Between forgetting to ask Google maps instead of Google and rain and foggy windows and the new location of the hotel I spent a lot of anxious and terrifying minutes on the streets KCMO.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
idaho39 #1305154 Fri Mar 29 2019 02:49 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Get on the wrong road and have a hard time getting off? Golly, sounds like the beginning of a very appropriate metaphor for quite a number of things in my life .... Except for marriage, of course.

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

idaho39 #1305158 Fri Mar 29 2019 03:38 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
'Bolter
Coilover ,,they lie every time about that ,,what happens is new people take over many years later and dont give a darn about the agreement that was made when it first started..

Tiny ,,when I paid the guard at the cabled off road ,,it seems like it was a bout $1.28 but that was 1965 or 1966

Ron ,,you would be a lot of fun to take a road trip with ,,,if,, a guy wasnt in a hurry to get where you were headed and didnt care if you could ever find it.. just kiddin ya friend ,,that was funny what you said

John ,, I think we all could clip that metaphor on our shirt pocket.. .. that goof of the wrong road took me 50 miles out of my way I do believe ..

idaho39 #1305159 Fri Mar 29 2019 04:16 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
No cables, no crossovers, only place you will find a person is the toll plaza, concrete barriers all the way, border to border. Legally you must drive to the next exit before you can get off the toll road. There are angled (backwards) gaps every so often for emergency vehicles to make a turn around but if you get caught using them it’s a pretty stiff fine.
Oklahoma used the same sales technique when the turnpikes were being proposed. Some 60 years later they are still toll roads and we are building more.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

idaho39 #1305170 Fri Mar 29 2019 05:14 PM
W
'Bolter
That is how got married, made a wrong turn, Idaho. yahoo. One of the nice things about Indiana most roads are on a grid, north. south, east, and west. Southern Indiana and around large waterways can be a little frustrating.

Last edited by WE b OLD; Fri Mar 29 2019 05:17 PM.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
idaho39 #1305199 Fri Mar 29 2019 07:14 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
'Bolter
Around here iRon it is that way. lots of streets turn into country roads and go straight for 20 miles or more..

So that cable across the road is not there no more hah? well, I better not make that mistake again ..

idaho39 #1305213 Fri Mar 29 2019 10:53 PM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
we were touring with a band in Montanan (I ran soundf or them). We had 4 kids and were in our 1950 DeSoto. My wife loves taking the road less traveled, she found a way over the rockies on what the map called a "primitive road". Seeing as how the map was 10 yrs old, she said, "I'm sure it is paved by now!". We were the only vehicle on the gravel road except for pickup trucks, most of them 4x4 and lifted! We got a lot of strange looks, but got to see some beautiful scenery and some cool waterfalls!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop