The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (56_3200, '54 3600, 5 Window 9434, 55 SHAKER, 52Carl, 1 invisible), 311 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,181
Posts923,842
Members42,360
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vent window installation? #1305082 Fri Mar 29 2019 01:03 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline OP
Shop Shark
'52 doors: I've been trying for hours to get my wind wing ("ventilator") assembly installed. I keep getting mine wedged between the door skin, window regulator spring and the glass. The shop manual is no help - it just says something like "install ventilator window and tighten bolts." There has to be a trick, but what is it?

Attached Files
01212_2tCX4kqEXgV_1200x900.jpg (98.45 KB, 49 downloads)

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: Vent window installation? [Re: miraclepieco] #1305087 Fri Mar 29 2019 01:28 AM
N
Nhluvstruck Offline
Shop Shark
The glass and channel and regulator assembly must be out of the door. They are installed after the vent window assembly is in place.

NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page
Re: Vent window installation? [Re: miraclepieco] #1305102 Fri Mar 29 2019 02:50 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Shop Shark
Well, Ijust installed the wing vent assemblies in my 53, and I had to have the window and regulator installed first. There seemed to be no way to tip the window enough to get it on the regulator with the wing vent in place. And that's how the shop manual says to do it.

I found out that I had to get the window glass down as far as possible, then move the top of the window channel out of the way (where it butts up to the divider channel), then start the wing vent assembly in through the widest opening in the top of the door, then tilt the wing vent assembly a bit and slip the center divider into the place where it belongs, then guide the window glass into that channel. The toughest part was when it got nearly all the way in, when the top attachment tab wanted to hang up on the door frame. I finally had to use a pry bar (very carefully) to get that top tab to go inside the door where it belonged. I probably inserted and removed the wing vent assembly three times before I finally got it to go in.

It will go, just takes patience and time. Snd assume it will take several tries. Even after getting the passenger side done, and figuring out how to do it, it still took nearly as much time and effort to do the other side.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: Vent window installation? [Re: bluesman] #1305118 Fri Mar 29 2019 05:29 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline OP
Shop Shark
Okay, I finally got it installed and I'll share the "secret" with all my helpful friends here on Stovebolt ;-)

I removed all four window regulator bolts and moved the regulator to the forward-most point in its crank handle hole. This provided the additional room required to allow the divider bar to align without interference from the regulator spring.

Thanks!

1951 Chevy Panel Truck

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop