The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (delky, 51sub, Dcurtis, Bill Trotter, 3 invisible), 292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,131
Posts923,452
Members42,352
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1949 GMC Dimensions #1304350 Sat Mar 23 2019 04:37 PM
P
PTCT49 Offline OP
New Guy
Hello- got a 1949 GMC FC102 and I'm planning a new shop. Having a time finding bumper to bumper length and overall width of the truck. Can some one point me to that?

From your view of building a shop for this truck woukd it be better to have a 20'x20' or 18'x22' or 16'x24' ? I'm limited to 400 sq ft by city code. See any advantages to either size. I plan to use 30% for yard equip and other stuff. Thank you for any assistance.

Re: 1949 GMC Dimensions [Re: PTCT49] #1304375 Sat Mar 23 2019 08:40 PM
T
tom moore Offline
Shop Shark
Is your building to be used as a garage for the truck or primarily used for a workshop?

For a workshop, I would go with the 20x20. The extra width compared to an 18’and 16’ foot width would be more convenient to move around. You can always work on the vehicle front end or back end in milder weather by pulling the vehicle partly outside through end doors if necessary.

Sorry I don’t have the exact 102 dimension handy but, it would be about 204” in total length with a 125.5” wheel base assuming an 87” bed for this series. The width is appximately 74”.

The 18x22 would be good compromise if storing the truck. From my experience in small shops I had always wanted a couple more feet of width over length.

Can you design a cantilever roof overhang on each end (or the sides for open air storage) to increase the roof length?

The internet has lots of information for small shop designs. There are lots of creative shop designs and ideas that have been built to address small shop needs. Check out woodworker websites like Fine Woodworking or woodweb. Although woodworking sites, there are forums specifically for small shop designs from people who were faced with zoning or code restrictions too.

Last edited by tom moore; Sat Mar 23 2019 10:58 PM.
Re: 1949 GMC Dimensions [Re: PTCT49] #1304389 Sat Mar 23 2019 11:20 PM
P
PTCT49 Offline OP
New Guy
Hi Tom, mostly a shop to finish resto, then storage for the winter. I have to put lawn equip stuff in there too because I house that in a shed and I cant have 2 "accessory" buildings. I'm thinking 20x20 too. I did consider a cantilever extension also, but it woukd have to be dirt floor as it woukd be considered part of sq ft if I did a concrete floor. $ was a factor too. I appreciate your feedback. I'll look into those shop sites also. PT

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop