The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (IdahoNative, Hotrod Lincoln, Jethro in Va, fonz8261, klhansen, 2 invisible), 215 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,267
Posts1,053,233
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1304141 Fri Mar 22 2019 01:12 AM
T
'Bolter
First posting this forum but a very experienced forum user. I think is #5 or 6 that I use to keep up with my various vehicles.

We need some help to determine which fuel gauge we need for a '49 3100.

Both of the new gauges from Chev of the 40's appear to be about 5/32" to 3/16" too thick. Everything works fine electrically when we test with the sending unit, When we install the chrome face it traps the needle so it cannot move.

We also noticed that the new fuel gauges push the overlapping edges of the adjacent 2 gauges up and away from the back of the housing.

The 1929-1954 parts book lists different fuel, oil, and ammeter gauges for 1947-48 compared to 1949-53. However, there is no information to help describe that difference.

I wonder if we have an early '49 truck that has a leftover '48 instrument panel installed.

Any ideas on how to determine this?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images
P3160018.JPG (99.63 KB, 168 downloads)

Rusty
P
'Bolter
The only difference between the 1947-48 gauge and the 1949-53 gauge is the 47-48 gauge had a red needle, and the 49-53 had white.
It looks again like the aftermarket gauge is just made wrong. What else is new.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog [chev235guy.blogspot.com]
T
'Bolter
Thanks for the quick response.

You confirmed 2 things.
- We do have a '49 instrument cluster in a '49. We have white needles.
- Once again the aftermarket strikes! Chev of the 40's also confirmed that yesterday afternoon.

My experiences are that about half the time aftermarket or "reproduction" part will have issues. You can get things to work, but not without some effort.

And this is a non-denominational problem. I work on all brands of cars and it is the same across the board.

Rusty
R
'Bolter
Found this in Bill's Truck Shop's (a Canadian vendor) on-line catalog:

"CONFIRM BACKGROUND & NEEDLE COLOUR There have been some issues w/ the repro gauges as they have the pin style sweep needle instead of the inner sweep needle and making contact w/ the upper gauge inner bezel-this requires removing some of this bezel for the needle to clear"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
T
'Bolter
WOW! That sounds like exactly the problem we are having.

That extra clearance will let the needle work. It will not fix the problem that the outer edges of the repo fuel gauge will push the edges of the 2 adjacent gauges up. We might be able to bend them down a little to fix that problem.

Thank you!

Rusty
E
'Bolter
Why not just find a NOS factory gauge? There's one on eBay right now for $35 or best offer, item number 173761630198. Could save a lot of trouble if it's the right one.

T
'Bolter
Thank you! I have periodically looked for one on eBay and had not checked for a few days.

I agree that is the way to go.

Rusty

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop