The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Gary P., coilover, 55 SHAKER, 68ironhead, Green_98, 2 invisible), 309 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics114,994
Posts912,361
Members42,071
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: door weather strip [Re: bluesman] #1304334
Sat Mar 23 2019 02:09 PM
Sat Mar 23 2019 02:09 PM
C
cmayna  Offline
Shop Shark
Menlo Park, Ca
Morning Carl,
I believe it is rust-oleum's dark bronze metallic #7272830. Confirmed

Craig

Last edited by cmayna; Sat Mar 23 2019 03:11 PM.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: door weather strip [Re: bluesman] #1304418
Sun Mar 24 2019 03:37 AM
Sun Mar 24 2019 03:37 AM
52Carl  Offline
Master Gabster
Virginia
Looks "correct" to me in your pic! That's what I used on my '49. It has a weird characteristic of changing color depending on light source, and angle of the view. I have an original speaker grill with some great condition original paint on it and it does the same thing.

Re: door weather strip [Re: bluesman] #1304972
Thu Mar 28 2019 02:22 AM
Thu Mar 28 2019 02:22 AM
B
bluesman  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Central Missouri
Well, I got my weather strip installed today. The way I finally ended up doing it was to start in the middle of the hinge side. I applied the weather strip cement to the weather strip, then carefully threaded in down into position. Once it was where I wanted it I pressed it into place against the door edge, then pulled it out and let the glue set up for a bit. That was the only way I could get cement onto the surface of the door. Just too tight to get the tube nozzle in there.

Once it was set, I fed the weather strip back into position, then used a small dowel rod to press it in place. It stuck real good!

Then I went around the door installing the rest, until I got to the front lower corner. I measured how much I needed to use to butt to the piece I already installed, cut the weather strip, and repeated the steps I'd used at the beginning to get adhesive onto the door surface.

When I was finished, I let the doors set open for awhile, then closed them to check fit. The only problem I had was that the weather strip seems to want to bind about half way between the hinges. But I think the problem is that I need to adjust the door clearance.
Also, I ended up with the sealant all over my fingers, but they cleaned up (eventually) using lighter fluid.

And, by the way, that adhesive really does mess up the paint on the door. I'm going to have to do some touch up painting!

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop