The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Woogeroo), 213 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics114,630
Posts909,449
Members41,974
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carburetor detective...? #1303175
Fri Mar 15 2019 07:07 PM
Fri Mar 15 2019 07:07 PM
J
Jon G  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dallas, TX
Yes, just like Pat Novak for those who remember the radio series. Not long ago I bought a couple more Carter carburetors and yesterday afternoon took a bit of time to look at one of them. It is a 2101s and from the outside it had evidence of sitting unused for a long time...possibly decades. When I opened it, I noticed it was pretty clean inside, and the further I went I noticed every gasket in it was original with the Carter mark. You can see a couple in the first image. The auto choke cover had the same original gasket. I don't think that cover had ever been disturbed. And I noticed the float pivot shaft had been installed backwards...the stop collar located on the inside rather than toward the outside of the bowl. It had worked its way over into the accelerator pump spring (which seemed to be what was keeping it from falling out completely). So...somebody had either been in here or it had been installed that way when built...which I doubted. You only have to make that mistake once, after all. The accelerator pump was OEM or at least had been replaced with a genuine Carter pump (right number stamped into the bottom). No leaks in it and the rubber still had life. And then out of curiosity I put the pivot shaft back in and checked the float settings. Extremely off. Horribly crazy off. The setting with the float sitting on the spring loaded needle was off so badly I don't think the float would have allowed the bowl to be more than 15 or 20% full before it shut off the gas flow. Between the two settings there was only 3/16 inch travel. So I've decided the float went bad and Herr Fixitmeister decided he could just go ahead and replace it...maybe after a few cans of Hamm's, who knows? He bought a new one and put it in, put it back together but never checked the settings at all. And I'll wager this carburetor wasn't used much after that point (especially if Mrs. Fixitmeister had to use the car) and got to sit on a shelf or in a box with some other miscellaneous tools and parts until it was sold as Dad's mystery stuff by the kids in an estate sale.

On the positive side, there's no sign anything was ever altered in the carburetor, it did clean up very nicely and I'll offer it for sale once I find a replacement clip for the auto choke slider arm to idle connector rod. Mr. Fixitmeister apparently lost it the same time he replaced the float. He would have had to unhook it to remove the air horn, after all and those are small and fiddly things. If you drop them in the grass, about the only way to find them is with a magnet and even then you need a good deal of patience.

I'm looking forward to seeing what fun the next one holds. If you have a 1953 to 1956 235 I believe it would be a nice one.

Attached Files
MVC-882F.JPG (170 downloads)
MVC-877F.JPG (174 downloads)
MVC-874F.JPG (173 downloads)
MVC-871F.JPG (167 downloads)

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Carburetor detective...? [Re: Jon G] #1303198
Fri Mar 15 2019 10:59 PM
Fri Mar 15 2019 10:59 PM
'
'54 3600  Offline
Shop Shark
New Jersey Shore
Looks like a real nice bunch of parts you purchased .

Been there done that .

Do you have a part # for the clip you need ?

George
'54 3600

Last edited by '54 3600; Sat Mar 16 2019 09:19 PM. Reason: add

1954 3600
Re: Carburetor detective...? [Re: Jon G] #1303214
Fri Mar 15 2019 11:51 PM
Fri Mar 15 2019 11:51 PM
J
Jon G  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the post, George. That was just an image of the parts after I had cleaned them and was re-assembling it. I don't have a part number...thought I had that clip but couldn't find one. I think it is commonly called a rod retaining clip and they're made in a number of sizes (used on door rods, carburetors, etc). I see where some of the suppliers have it for about 75 cents...plus $5 or $6 in bogus shipping costs. These used to be in Dorman drawers at any parts house for a quarter, but no longer. So I adapted a little clip to work until I come across the right one. You can see it in the Parts For Sale section. I went ahead and listed it. Very nice carburetor this one is and I was happy to find it. Nice, straight...think it was used for about 20 years at the most and has been sitting on a shelf since then. Most of these I run across now are rusted so badly you'd think they'd spent a few years in a fishpond.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Carburetor detective...? [Re: Jon G] #1303549
Mon Mar 18 2019 11:51 AM
Mon Mar 18 2019 11:51 AM
G
Grigg  Offline
Lexington, VA
I have a NOS Zenith (borrowed from a friend) on my GMC, I’ve driven it a year or more.
Recently noticed the vacuum advance wasn’t responding as it should.
Short version is the throttle shaft was installed upside down putting the throttle plate on the wrong side of center and not landing where it should to open and close the vacuum port for the distributor.
I’m absolutely sure it was assembled this way at the factory.

After operating on it on the tailgate at a truck show my drive home was much better with functioning vacuum advance.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Carburetor detective...? [Re: Jon G] #1303640
Mon Mar 18 2019 11:00 PM
Mon Mar 18 2019 11:00 PM
J
Jon G  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dallas, TX
I've wondered about that Grigg. First time I've ever heard of it happening. Worker out late the night before, maybe? Watching the Liston/Clay fight maybe?

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop