The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (homer52, Bolter Finally, Just Very Confused, klhansen), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,395
Posts1,012,515
Members45,220
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
brake issue...I'm totally stumped
#1302122 Thu Mar 07 2019 11:43 PM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
Totally stock '52 half-ton Chevy. Has pulled left (toward driver's side) under hard braking for as long as I can remember. Only a problem when you get surprised and have to really hit 'em hard, like when a deer or dog bolts in front of you.

But she's had a leaky wheel cylinder lately, so it's time for some brake maintenance. I changed pretty much everything: new shoes, new wheel cylinders, new flex hoses, and even swapped drums left to right to eliminate the possibility of uneven warping or wear...although there's no ridge in the drums and I'm certain they're excellent. Same story for the rear, new shoes, swapped drums, etc.

So....she still pulls left. I'm thinking "what the heck??" Maybe it's an alignment issue although she tracks straight and true and I'm sure alignment is good. Or perhaps that right front spring sags maybe a quarter inch more than the left and causes her to dip more on the right and steer left.

EXCEPT...and I feel this is important...I'll crawl under and measure the drum temps after a run using one of those infrared thermometers from Harbor Freight. Left front is always 55F or so hotter than the right. Like today left was 175F and right barely nudged 120F. Rear drums seem normal...both less, about 110.

Uneven drum temps gotta rule out anything in the alignment realm. It's a shoe/drum friction issue...something is causing the right shoes to not grip the to drum as tightly. Obviously! Right???

Racking my brain, I decide now would be the perfect time to convert the old single reservoir master to a modern dual system, complete with re-routed lines.

Maybe the original system with one short line to the front left and the other line shared between the other three could have something to do with it. That just don't seem right.

Long story shortened, and because I'm tired of typing, I've completed the dual conversion and even that makes no darn difference!! Still pulls left under hard braking!!

Other than finding a solution, what I'd also like to know is whether anyone else's AD pulls left but don't wanna ask because I doubt there's anyone who'd admit it. Anyone???

I'm stumped but guess I'll have to live with it. At least she's got all new brakes and a dual master cylinder, so the work hasn't been for nothing.

2 Chronicles 7:14

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
www.truckwithaheart.com [flickr.com]
Re: brake issue...I'm totally stumped
Skooter #1302126 Thu Mar 07 2019 11:52 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Question, with both front wheels up and on jack stands does the left side drag more than the right. Each side should have just a slight resistance when turned by hand. With the difference in temps left to right it would suggest one side is working harder than the other.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Skooter #1302128 Thu Mar 07 2019 11:56 PM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
Left and right are adjusted as equally as I can get, very light drag with axle up on jackstands. I agree, left is working harder and applying more pressure under braking than right but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
Skooter #1302144 Fri Mar 08 2019 01:01 AM
W
Shop Shark
I have a similar issue with my 48 truck. Didn't really think too much about it because i'm not to familiar with old hard riding 3/4tons with big wheels and skinny tires.. When i did motor mounts and front harmonic balancer sleeve w/seal i cleaned 70 years of crap covering the brake line going to r-front. I now remember it is dented/kinked. Can this line be not pressuring the right brake cylinder correctly and be making the left brake overworking? I didn't think much about my issue till i read ur conundrum.

u can see the line here, u can't see the dent as its down and behind the c-support.

Attached Files
DSC02217.JPG (291.4 KB, 229 downloads)
Last edited by wrenchguy; Fri Mar 08 2019 01:15 AM.
Skooter #1302145 Fri Mar 08 2019 01:11 AM
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy Skooter, If I am remembering correctly 52s have Bendix brakes, correct? If that is the case are both front brakes assembled the same way, primary (shorter) shoe to the forward side? Are both the rear brakes the same temperature after some braking? We had a vehicle at work that pulled to the right, we tried to figure out why but couldn't find anything obvious, so we stripped the whole front end down and we found the right side backing plate to spindle bolts were a bit loose, tightening everything up and reassembly of the original components revealed no more pulling, hope that helps.

Skooter #1302150 Fri Mar 08 2019 02:04 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
No not Bendix and no kinks in the all-new front lines from the dual MC to both fronts. Have also adjusted the anchor pins on both sides (and both rears) as prescribed in the shop manual. Both front wheel hub/bearings also adjusted per manual.

I've never been a professional mechanic but I've owned this truck 37 years and have done a ton of mechanical work in my life on this and many other vehicles. So I've been around the block. This one has me mystified.

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
Skooter #1302151 Fri Mar 08 2019 02:04 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
...and beginning to think uneven braking is a characteristic of ALL or MOST non-proportioned drum systems. Can anyone verify whether I'm correct in this assumption??

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
Skooter #1302152 Fri Mar 08 2019 02:06 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
Excuse me, I'm getting Huck and Bendix confused...the '52 doesn't have the older one (while I search for a pic...)

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
Skooter #1302153 Fri Mar 08 2019 02:14 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
'Bolter
pic...

Attached Files
IMG_0376.JPEG (218.93 KB, 223 downloads)

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
Skooter #1302161 Fri Mar 08 2019 03:11 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Is your photo drivers side or passenger side?

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop