The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (59 fleet, 55 SHAKER, buoymaker, Chooglin, 95Z28A4, 1 invisible), 158 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,420
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Power Windows/Locks Input Needed
#130179 Wed Jan 01 2003 08:18 PM
P
I have a 50 GMC 1/2 ton panel. I need suggestions from experienced persons on the following issues for the above vehicle:
- what type and source of power windows works best for this vehicle using stock glass?
- what type and source of power locks works best for this vehicle using stock latches?
- what methods/parts/sources of running wiring to the doors works best?
I'm interested in hearing from other people that have installed pwr. windows and locks to this vintage of vehicle, to see what ideas they have come up with, parts that work best, etc. Thanks!

Re: Power Windows/Locks Input Needed
#130180 Thu Jan 02 2003 03:50 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Pickles,
I haven't got this far myself, but I have been looking at options for my 50 short stepside. In some magazines, Classic Trucks and Custom Classic Trucks, I have seen numerous ads. The one I am looking at is Autoloc.
autoloc.com. They have p/window and locks, and lots more. I like the power window, you can use the factory crank, looks origianl, but power! Nice about aftermarket is that you don't have to mess with it to get it to fit... usually. Hope this is of value to you.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
#130181 Sat Jan 04 2003 12:20 AM
J
Can't remember the name of the company,but they advertise in the street rod mags. They adapt the OE window mechinism to power. As far as power door locks, if you have power windows make them remote opening and you can forget about the door locks, one less thing to potentialy go wrong. I did my cpe that way in 97 and no trouble so far.

#130182 Sat Jan 04 2003 02:22 AM
P
I'm not having trouble locating a power window set-up...as almost any supplier of truck parts (and many others) have them available...and for a wide range of prices. Just checked out set-ups by "Electric-Life" and they look pretty good. My main questions were:
What types have you folks out there used successfully, or which ones to stay away from?
Secondly - who makes a power lock set-up that will work with original-style door latches for a 50 GMC panel truck. I may just have to fit some type of actuators to the door shell to move the lock lever with remote control. Thanks

#130183 Sat Jan 04 2003 07:09 AM
C
I have a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton with power windows. I purchased the kit from Specialy Power Windows and haven't had one problem yet and they have been installed for 6 years. I liked the fact that the vertical guide track is made up of heavy duty steel so their's no flexing....."very important if you plan to keep the metal frame on the one piece door glass". I also purchased door jam pin contacts from Dakota Digital to eliminate wires in the jam. The nice thing about this kit is that it comes with a video to help with the installation.

If your planning to have power door lock then your going to need the strongest solenoid door actuator they make. I think your best bet would be to mount the solenoid about mid level on the door inner panel, mount a pulley on the panel in the area of the door actuating rod that goes from the handle to the door latch and pass a cable up from the solenoid thru a hole drilled in the door panel to allow the cable to come through over the guide pulley and attach to the door actuating arm. When the solenoid is triggered it will pull the stock actuating arm and lock the door. Something like this http://www.50chevy.freeservers.com/Remote_Entry.html#Remote%20Entry%20for%20Smokey

Joe
#130184 Sat Jan 04 2003 05:19 PM
P
Joe - Thanks for the reply...and a great site as well!
Looking at the diagram, it appears the solenoid can only pull the actuating arm..which is to unlock it, only. What about pushing the arm to lock the latch? Apparently, using a bowden cable instead of a loose pulley/cable will give it power movement in both directions (lock & unlock). The actuating arm also has to move alot more in a forward direction when unlatching the door with the inside handle. Wouldn't this kink the bowden cable? Let me know your thoughts.
Steve

#130185 Sat Jan 04 2003 07:55 PM
J
Pickelbus, Maybe I wasn't clear enough on the first post. If you have power windows and have them set up for remote up and down you don't need to use selenoids for the doors you just roll the window down and lock or unlock the door. Then you don't have to monkey with or worry about the cables or rods of the selenoids

#130186 Sat Jan 04 2003 08:12 PM
P
Thank you Jack, that is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, I need something where I can unlock the door, grab a tool or something out of the vehicle, then close and lock the door. For the amount of times I have to do this, it would really slow me down or croak the battery. It is an excellent alternative to my problem, until I work something out. You're right about the monkeying part....having the same latch lever do the lock, unlock, and un-latch operations may prove to be quite a feat with a power lock solenoid in the way. Appreciate the input.
I may re-examine the actual latch to see if I can do this in a more isolated manner....there's lots of levers and gears and crap in those latches for me to monkey with (!!)to come up with some idea.

#130187 Sat Jan 04 2003 08:13 PM
P
P.S. Plus I still have the rear cargo door lock to consider......

#130188 Sat Jan 04 2003 08:32 PM
J
Pickel, your welcome. Where are you in MI? You mention unlatching and unlocking the doors, are you shaving the handles or leaving them on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop