The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 registered members (bwilliams, Craig1948RK, Connielu, archburycontrol, CrowbarBob, coilover), 340 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,367
Posts938,489
Members42,915
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Help my front shock mount broke! #1301387 Sat Mar 02 2019 05:48 PM
R
Roadking53 Offline OP
Van
Wife wanted to drive her Apache to work after we were headed to breakfast at a local joint. Was following her down a secondary road when all of a sudden it looked like she threw a cigarette out the bottom of the truck! (she don't smoke). Turned out the upper left bracket the shock bolts to broke clean off. I ran home in car I was following her with and retrieved a tool box and removed the shock from the truck and she drove it back home no problems. Upon further investigating I see the other one is cracked in same fashion. After looking online a bit I see different looking brackets for replacement but they dont look anything like mine. Mine are flat metal with the pin for the shock mounted 90deg. at the top. Three rivets hold the flat portion to the frame. The ones online look like they have two rivet holes that mount to the top of the frame. Are these a better style stronger way to go? Should I just weld mine back in place and weld over the other cracked one? I might be able to add a reinforcement plate to the inside across the stressed area.

Any help or light shedding on this subject is greatly appriciated!

Even if you have had this happen before post here please

Thanks
RK
ie.my apologies. I thought driveline meant engines/transmissions/rearends?

Attached Files
IMG_1146.JPG (218.77 KB, 306 downloads)
IMG_1138.JPG (299.22 KB, 312 downloads)
IMG_1137.JPG (208.14 KB, 297 downloads)
Last edited by Roadking53; Sat Mar 02 2019 06:51 PM. Reason: pictures

1959 Apache swb stepside
Atlanta Ga.
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301407 Sat Mar 02 2019 08:03 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Bolting or welding anything to a frame flange can create stress risers that can lead to frame cracks. I'd suggest making a 1/4" thick reinforcing plate that fits inside the cracked/broken pieces, drilling and bolting it in place, and then welding over the cracks. That way, no frame alterations are made, and you've got a stronger than original part on both sides.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301448 Sun Mar 03 2019 12:16 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I wouldn't be afraid of welding the bracket back together while it's riveted to the frame. There shouldn't be enough heat transfer to the frame itself to affect the strength. If you did that, you might want to reinforce the bracket a bit around the welded area.
But like Jerry said, don't weld on the frame.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301452 Sun Mar 03 2019 12:38 AM
S
Steelonsteel Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I hope you cn get that fixed easy! In wondering how the brackets could break, I’m thinking a past owner who drove a rough road for a very long time, had put on extra stiff shocks and kept them maintained that way, and that exceded the engineered strength of the bracket. With constant flexing for a long time ...... Just a considered guess. I agree with Kevin, the heat of welding in place on the bracket wouldn’t heat up the frame enough to make stress spots. Might be easier to do on the bench, though. Re- riveting the bracket to the frame would be a fun job! Take an old sledge hammer head(annealed)drill or machine a recess on the face that fits the rivet head nicely, and use this for a buck. Have the truck’s owner hold this while you peen the other end nice and tight. Get the rivet fairly red hot first. At least the little end. Or, you could switch ends with the owner, so she won’t feel like you are undervaluing her skills. Got to keep peace in the marriage! Might pay off. wink

I have a large carbon footprint. That’s why my wife makes me take off my boots in the house.
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301459 Sun Mar 03 2019 01:34 AM
T
tom moore Offline
Shop Shark
Other than an easy but inconvenient weld fix- how about your wife that drives an Apache tri-five truck. Awesome!

Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301460 Sun Mar 03 2019 01:37 AM
D
DennisM Offline
Shop Shark
You might check if the correct shocks were used. If they didn't have the proper travel, they would have put stress on the bracket. Otherwise, they shouldn't have reached full travel.

Dennis

40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301505 Sun Mar 03 2019 05:50 AM
G
GeneBrink Offline
Wrench Fetcher
RK, Had the exact same problem on my '58 Apache and was broken when I got the truck. And rather than a crack on the mount that was intact it had already been welded some time before I acquired when I got the beast (no idea how long it had been that way but it evidently held for some time). Guessing they both were not welded because the shock and portion of one mount was lost when the damage was done.

Experienced the same thing you did when trying to find something new - nothing that is correct. I watched eBay for several months and got lucky finding two NOS mounts for a very good price (too long ago to remember but under $20 for both). Ground the rivets off and plan on attaching with bolts when I finally get around to putting shocks on. I'd guess someone really hit a dip/curb/pothole really hard to compress the shocks completely and transfer additional forces on the shock mounts.

Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301547 Sun Mar 03 2019 04:53 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
If too-long shocks are installed, hitting any hard bump could compress them fully and put excessive strain on the mounting brackets. You could also use the existing brackets as a pattern and duplicate the mounts in flat steel plate. The shoulder bolts the shocks mount to are available, and as long as they fit the rubber bushings in the ends of the shocks, they don't really care what vehicle they're on.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301651 Mon Mar 04 2019 05:15 AM
'
'54 3600 Offline
Shop Shark
RK ,

Why go thru all of the trouble to repair or fabricate new brackets

when you can buy GM NOS Lower Frame Shock Brackets - .GM # 3902543

These lower frame shock mounts are now a very rare part to find GM NOS .

GM # 3902543 was discontinued by GM in 1990.

The original GM part # was GM # 3882338 and was superseded in 1967 .

There is an auction on ebay that ends very early the morning of March 6th. @ 7:47 AM west coast time .

I would not miss this auction .

As a bonus in this odd lot auction it also has ( 2 ) upper shock brackets - GM # 3700440 .

These upper brackets would sell fast .

Sell the rest right back on ebay or right here on stovebolt.

PIC

https://i.postimg.cc/R0PSj9DZ/3902543.jpg

Go to ebay & in the search box TYPE........3700440.........or..........3902543

George
'54 3600

Last edited by '54 3600; Mon Mar 04 2019 07:49 AM. Reason: add

1954 3600
Re: Help my front shock mount broke! [Re: Roadking53] #1301668 Mon Mar 04 2019 02:08 PM
R
Roadking53 Offline OP
Van
Thanks fellas!
I will check out that auction for sure. Thanks for the part numbers too! All I could find initially is those top frame mounts. Not sure if I could make those work or not.

The shocks are gas, and the PO. replaced them before I purchased the truck. So, I didn't think to look there. The P.O. owns operates a 18wheeler truck repair business. I figured He looked at things. Thats what I get for assuming eh?

Yes my wife drives the Apache better than I do!

RK, aka Van

1959 Apache swb stepside
Atlanta Ga.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop