The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (55 SHAKER, archburycontrol, 3B, Bill Ryle, Cozsum, Charles in CA), 278 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,430
Posts973,570
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ark-Les Heater Switch
#1300897 Wed Feb 27 2019 07:20 PM
E
Shop Shark
My '48 GMC has been converted to 12V and the rheostat function on the old headlight switch doesn't work. Some of the old Ark-Les heater switches use low-medium-high settings while others incorporate a rheostat and I'd like to run my dash lights through one of them. Since most of these switches were used in 6V applications I'm wondering if they will work in my 12V truck. Any experiences?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Ark-Les Heater Switch
Eureka Jim #1300927 Wed Feb 27 2019 11:09 PM
Master Gabster
Most folks like bright dash lights so just connect the dash light wire(s) to the tail light terminal on your current headlight switch. When your park or headlights are on your dash lights will be on full bright. I have the same issue on my '53.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Ark-Les Heater Switch
Tiny #1300987 Thu Feb 28 2019 04:28 AM
E
Shop Shark
You're right Tiny, I could just leave well enough alone. It's not like I drive very much in the dark anyway! In a previous posting about which light bulbs to use Wrenchbender Ret. suggested I use the smaller bulb from the high beam indicator in my gauges which would probably work fine.

But, I like my truck to work as it did when it was new and I use as much of the old stuff as I can and I'd prefer to have a working rheostat Another way would be to buy a new 12V reproduction light switch but then I'd want to modify an old knob to work with it.

I've probably gone off the deep end a little on this because I've just spent the last couple of days under my dash board cleaning up the wiring harness, doing some paint work, preparing to install my Frankensteined rebuilt original gauges including using an ammeter with my alternator. While I've never been accused of being very big, time spent folded under the dash- while interesting- isn't something I will ever want to do again. Once I'm done, I want to be finished for a good long time!

Maybe it's the fumes or maybe I'm just nuts.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop