The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (55 SHAKER, hoovx4, dunfire, DennisM, 2 invisible), 301 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,769
Posts920,108
Members42,336
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Something weird? #1298394 Sun Feb 10 2019 10:48 PM
B
bigBob Offline OP
New Guy
I rescued a '51 1/2 ton a couple of years ago that needs a lot of love out of a barn. It's a mutt, but I've always had a soft spot for such things. I had hopes of making her dance again with the original running gear, but the venerable old 216 seen better days. She's still worth salvaging, and I my humble opinion all old trucks are, but I'm faced with a dilemma. How am I going to repower the old girl? I've looked at getting another 216, but it's under powered and the oil delivery is iffy. 235, 261, 292? At the end of the they are all antiquated iron. Anything modern is going to take a lot of metal massage, so why not do something different, something weird? My mind floated to diesel. I saw that that diesel has been tossed around here, couple of times, but not really explored. I have to admit, I only spent about a half hour looking. Please prove me wrong. But how about something a little taboo and maybe a little off putting? ...Volkswagen TDI in Stovebolt. Has anybody dained to do such a thing...? Am I going to be banned???

Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298455 Mon Feb 11 2019 03:11 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Nope, not banned- - - -just ridiculed and ostracized. We need somebody new to pick on, as we get tired of beating up on each other all the time. There's nothing really wrong with a Diesel in a stovebolt, as long as you don't mind driving around in a slow, stinky, noisy vehicle that belches lots of ugly smoke. The kids with their jacked-up 4X4's and exhaust pipes approximately the size of the English Channel tunnel love their coal-rolling toys. Dad had a saying years ago that went something like this - - - -"Diesels are just like sex- - - -highly overrated and stinky!"

Kidding aside, go ahead with your project. Nobody's really going to rake you over the coals about it, but be aware the engine is only the beginning. You're going to need to do your homework on transmission and rear end ratios, and give it enough gears to keep the engine in a fairly narrow torque band. You might also want to consider the engines used in the Isuzu cabover trucks and similar offerings by Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and others. They've already done the heavy lifting on putting together a good-working drivetrain that plays nice with the engine. The average back yard tinkerer doesn't have access to the same kind of engineering departments!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298458 Mon Feb 11 2019 03:41 AM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
Taboo?
Banned?

This is the HiPo Shop - do what you like.
And, tell us about about it - in here.

Learn how to post pictures - they will be appreciated.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298494 Mon Feb 11 2019 02:18 PM
V
Volfandt Offline
Shop Shark
Jerry, re., what you GrandPa said, I definitely don't feel that way but my Mrs might LOL.....

bigBob, I met a fellow last fall and bought some hay bails from him. What does that have to do with your question you may ask? well I'll tell you, he drove up to meet me at his gate in an AD body that was attached to a Dodge 2500 frame that included the full Cummins powered driver train. HE extended the bed into an extra long long bed and the only other telltale sign something was different in it's stance was the front wheels stuck out past the fenders, otherwise it looked very good. It's alot of work shoul done undertake such a project but it's doable...

As been said this is the HiPo forum, purists are always welcomed but we likes to do alittle tweak'n around here, and encourage it LOL.
I took alot of pics that day LOL.
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8

Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298524 Mon Feb 11 2019 05:59 PM
T
Twinshadows Offline
Wrench Fetcher
hi bigBob

That "292" big six and a B/W T 5 5speed doesn't sound tooo BAD ......

kiss --- and more simple with up-dated power, ......... go for it !

Jim
Chino Valley, Arizona

Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298531 Mon Feb 11 2019 06:31 PM
G
Grigg Offline
The VW TDI engines are good, I' have two in the cars and had another before these.
I believe people are putting them in Jeeps, so someone has already figured out rear wheel drive transmission options. They've had stand alone computers for a while too I believe.

The 98 I had, ALH engine, with a tune might be a good choice in a light AD truck, the 1/2 ton. I got 50 couple MPG in the car at about 3,000 lb and it would really get up and go, nothing slow or weak about it.
Also have an 05 BEW and it may have more power (also tuned) but I liked how the ALH drove more, felt like better low end torque, more tractor like.
The BEW engines can have cam shaft issues, and expensive injectors. The ALH is a lot of bang for the buck and still affordable to work on (not that you need to much at all).

If you want a new engine suited to the 1/2 ton this would be my choice.
https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298641 Tue Feb 12 2019 03:49 PM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
The very first thing we do when someone wants to go diesel is find what it weighs. A lot of diesels are not fit for 1/2T trucks but I see the VW TDI weights in at 361 pounds. My wife's 64 Ford 1/2T had a Perkins in it that had the springs reverse arched---not good. If diesel is of any size a very shallow rear gear can be used in a light vehicle, her's had a 2.29. Couldn't take the noisy, smelly, black fog so replaced with a 302 gas engine.

Evan
Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1298649 Tue Feb 12 2019 04:47 PM
G
Gord&Fran Offline
Shop Shark
Well, here's an interesting car with a tractor engine, so it should work in a truck. BTW, the car has patina!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqnSPoFHXtY

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: Something weird? [Re: bigBob] #1299503 Mon Feb 18 2019 06:51 PM
P
Possum Offline
Wrench Fetcher
There's a guy I follow on Youtube that put a 4 cyl Perkins in a '55 second series half ton, because he had one laying around and just to be different.

I even thought about putting a 3-53 Detroit into my '58 1 ton headscratch But since I currently don't have one, I'm dropping in a 383 stroker.

A 27 year old with a soft spot for old trucks!
1949 Chevy 3100
1955.5 Chevy 3100
1958 Chevy 3800 1-ton w/ 9 foot bed
1959 Chevy Spartan 100 winch truck
and various other future projects

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop