The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
A lovely month ...
Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (canuck49, 1940GmcJoe, 49 3100, Brad Allen, Bread, carryall jerry), 231 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,252
Posts897,973
Members41,570
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1298366
Sun Feb 10 2019 07:10 PM
Sun Feb 10 2019 07:10 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
OK- - - -that's definitely a Huck system. Lockheed brakes don't have the notched adjusters on the wheel cylinder. Putting hex-head adjusters on the backing plate is a very good idea- - - -I wonder why they didn't do that on the cars and 1/2 tons?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1298484
Mon Feb 11 2019 12:24 PM
Mon Feb 11 2019 12:24 PM
John Milliman  Offline OP
Founder/Developer
St. Mary's Co., MD
Probably cost too much to produce. ohwell

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'70 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ '84 Evinrude 90

Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1298522
Mon Feb 11 2019 05:51 PM
Mon Feb 11 2019 05:51 PM
T
tom moore  Offline
Shop Shark
New Hampshire
This is a good thread with good points thanks for writing this and sharing your observations.. Helped me verify that my choice to stay with the stock huck brakes on my projects was valid. Should I ever upgrade to more power or towing I may consider a brake upgrade.

Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1298526
Mon Feb 11 2019 06:06 PM
Mon Feb 11 2019 06:06 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
Here's a bit of trivia about Huck brakes. Back when there were lots of these systems on the road, it was not uncommon for a "flat rate" mechanic to just replace one brake shoe (the worn one) and keep the other for his own use. After he did a few of those one-shoe brake jobs, he would have a complete set of brakes to use on his own car, or to do a side job that his boss was unwittingly supplying the parts for free. It was necessary for Dad's shop in Nashville to require the mechanics working for us to turn in the "core" brake shoes on every repair to avoid the possibility of that happening.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1298669
Tue Feb 12 2019 06:39 PM
Tue Feb 12 2019 06:39 PM
truckernix  Offline
Master Gabster
Bracebridge Ontario Canada
My 1 Ton only has the external adjusters only on the back. Both my vehicles have the Huck style brakes and they work really well. The one vulnerability is a result of the sliding metal cap adjusters. They tend to corrode a bit and get sticky.

One detail that I learned the hard way is the small chamfer at the top of the shoe lining. If this is not present on a relined shoe, it can cause the shoe to operate incorrectly. On all the factory diagrams you can see the chamfer on the Huck shoes only. Some of the suppliers have shoes that don't have the chamfer.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1299224
Sat Feb 16 2019 04:15 PM
Sat Feb 16 2019 04:15 PM
D
David Bush  Offline
Shop Shark
Decatur, Georgia
Been dealing with Hucks on my '46 since I bought it in '85. The secret to correct adjustment is getting the two shoes adjusted evenly on each wheel. My technique is to pick one and back it out until it starts to drag. Go pump the brake pedal hard a few times. Readjust until is starts to drag. Repeat. Once it's still dragging a bit after pumping the pedal, I back it off a few notches (keeping count) until it spins free, and then repeat with the other shoe. Once the other shoe drags a bit after the pedal pump, I dial back the first shoe the same number of notches I backed it off. Never had a problem doing this and in a few real panic stops, the truck has braked predictably.

My 2 cents,

Re: In defense of Huck Brakes .... [Re: John Milliman] #1299300
Sun Feb 17 2019 12:11 AM
Sun Feb 17 2019 12:11 AM
John Milliman  Offline OP
Founder/Developer
St. Mary's Co., MD
Well, Yesterday I took the truck on it's first real highway outing since doing the wheel cylinder replacement, fluid flush and adjustment (using the power bleeder -- that thing rocks!). Wow ... they really worked great. The brakes felt better than I ever remember them feeling. Tried a slower speed panic brake for a test and the truck pulled smartly to a stop in a straight line with hands off the wheel.

I am very pleased.

Oh, and huge difference on the steering, too -- Thanks for tightening the box adjustment, Chris! Anyone who thinks they need to upgrade to power brakes and power steering (or IFS) needs to come drive this truck. Still a *slight* wander at 70 MPH, but the front axle (tie rod ends, king pins, etc) are still unrestored/original. Truck only has less than 70k miles on it, so one of these days, I might get around to a front axle restoration ...

smile

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'70 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ '84 Evinrude 90

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop