The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
A lovely month ...
Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (1940GmcJoe, Hotrod Lincoln, floaterboy, canuck49, 2manyprojects, beltfed), 206 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,252
Posts897,973
Members41,570
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My 58 Aussie Viking build #1295209
Thu Jan 17 2019 10:13 PM
Thu Jan 17 2019 10:13 PM
1958Viking  Offline OP
New Guy
Australia, NSW
My name is Mathew and i am building up a right hand drive delivered 1958 viking 1.5 tonne in Australia.

I have tried to do most things myself and have wanted to put together a journal , saw this and thought why not.

It has been kept all mechanical with a Cummins 6bt that is ready to install.

At the moment finishing firewall mods and fixing some rust in the cab area.

Just got back my front springs and getting ready to put the front axle and front brake upgrade together.

It has the nv4500 gearbox and dana 80 rear end, yet to weld in my pinion angles as i need to get ride height right first and finish restoring the rear springs.

Been putting in time every day on the Viking, It seems to take forever but a bit every day will get there sooner.

Looking back at purchase receipt and it is actually nearly 5 years since first purchasing truck.

IT has been shipped from state to state over 1000kms from initial purchase place, and come with me each time moving house since then (3 times).

Little bit of insight for Stovebolters in the USA, we have very strict automotive design rules and regulations on Australian roads, so many modification to a vehicle need to be signed off by an engineer for a vehicle to be deemed roadworthy and legally driven on the roads.

Initial plans were talked over with an engineer, he knocked a few back saying they would be very difficult to get passed and offered alternatives such as putting my Viking cab on a c30 chev chassis.

To me that was not a true 1958 Chev truck, I wanted the original and figured out ways to keep the 1958 chassis whilst still integrating my driveline and braking upgrades albeit with some extra challenges thrown in

Works completed so far include cross member modifications to accept the Cummins 6bt,
This required a drop in the front and 2nd crossmember, tried to keep standard looking chassis by moulding in parts from spare chassis to keep original look. They were both re-enforced with spare crossmember pieces I had acquired.
Motor and gearbox mounts were designed with a friend (thanks Brett) and in consultation with an engineer. Mounts sit the engine and gearbox on a 5 degree rearward slant when chassis is level (will get the pics up soon - any recommendations for uploading lots of photos?)
wire brushing the frame and painting with POR15 - soon to get more and a top coat as it has gone chalky.
Front springs have been serviced and raised a little for the desired stance once complete, bushes and pins have been replaced, front spring perches required inserts to repair where the old pins had made oval shaped holes

One of the biggest challenges has been the braking system upgrade, now remember how i said that we have very stringent vehicle requirements when modifying vehicles - stay with me here
One of those requirements is that any hubs or axle upgrades that you use on your modified vehicle must then be the same track width as the vehicle from which they came from.
I am hoping that the next little bit of information does not get me kicked off the site, there is profanity.. ready.. here it is FORD parts were used.. sorry in advance!

The front disc upgrade that would meet the requirements for my front track width using the standard front axle (think its the heavy duty 2 tonne one) was the 2015 ford f350 2wd front hubs. 14.3 inch discs

The inner front bearing cone from these hubs can be retained with the original 1958 chev roller bearing, the outer bearing and race need to be replaced. Can ad part numbers when uploading pics

A 10mm spacer was required to be machined for stub axle to get front track within the 10mm f350 front track requirements of engineer.

The caliper bracket - many versions were made - ended up out of 12mm flat plate.

Braking components need to be from one vehicle so that justification for the modification and performance expectation is a simple and proven one at inspection time.

The hydroboost setup from the f350 was used and mounted underneath the dash to keep the firewall and engine bay looking clean.

What a job that was, required the pedal setup from an isuzu npr truck that pushes on right angle of booster from pedal direction ( pictures to come)

The steering has been upgraded to power steering using the toyota hilux steering box, mounts made from 1 inch plate - used a 4 inch drop drag link from the toyota pitman arm. I thought that this prevented bump steer but the engineer told me that it just reduces the chances or your rod ends binding.

Current job that is taking too much time is the front firewall insert, the shaping process has been a big learning curve and much respect for these craftsmen has developed. It is nearly complete and ready for final welding into place just finishing making the bottom corners before welding in as one piece.

A fair amount of work has commenced with the engine upgrades, but I will leave that for a later post. (if i am allowed back :))

Thank you for letting me share my build

Mathew

Attached Files
IMG_2268.JPG (104 downloads)
IMG_4466.JPG (100 downloads)
IMG_2542.JPG (99 downloads)
IMG_2282.JPG (99 downloads)

1958 Viking 4400
Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298390
Sun Feb 10 2019 10:31 PM
Sun Feb 10 2019 10:31 PM
S
Steve-W  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Hoofddorp, netherlands
looks very good! I'm following to see how this turns out.

Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298457
Mon Feb 11 2019 03:30 AM
Mon Feb 11 2019 03:30 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Online
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
I like the idea of having requirements for sound engineering practices on vehicles that operate on public roads. While the people I used to race dirt track cars with were all there voluntarily and understood the risks involved, some of the rugged individualists here in the USA who insist on "doing it my way" haven't bothered to ask the soccer mom in her minivan full of kids if she minds being on the same road with something that goes like stink but can't stop or steer safely! On the other side of the coin, resisting the tendency of an all-powerful government to meddle in our daily lives is a big reason the USA exists at all. Good luck on your project, and keep us updated! It looks very good so far!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298461
Mon Feb 11 2019 03:53 AM
Mon Feb 11 2019 03:53 AM
69Cuda  Offline
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Seattle, Wa.
looking good! I can hardly wait to see your progress!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298504
Mon Feb 11 2019 04:09 PM
Mon Feb 11 2019 04:09 PM
3B  Offline
Master Gabster
B. C. Canada
Hy 1958Viking, you do very good work, it looks great! It is a better idea to have it inspected and approved as you go, most jurisdictions over here will only inspect the finished product, it can be very disheartening when they tell you you have to redo a major part of your modifications. I hope the remainder of your project goes well. How long of a bed are you planning to have and what will you use the truck for?

Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298591
Tue Feb 12 2019 02:07 AM
Tue Feb 12 2019 02:07 AM
1958Viking  Offline OP
New Guy
Australia, NSW
Hello,

thanks for the feedback, always helps to keep work ticking along.
The modified fire wall has been welded in , still needs finishing to the welds with planishing hammer and dolly and final sand/grind.
Working on making some alligator back welds today to get the turbo in the position required. (would love to ad some pics of these - any suggestions for upload or is it a moderator request?)
Yes, it can be a real pain to meet so many requirements but I do like the reassurance that it should be safe when family and friends are riding in it.
It does help getting several visits from engineer as work progresses, the underdash Hydroboost and brake pedal placement required extra firewall bracing to prevent any firewall flex.
It was much easier to amend the mods before truck is fully assembled and I would need to pull apart, weld and refinish for a second time.

Spoke with a mate today re ideas for tray - width of cab to rear wheels before slimming to chassis width and tubs over duallys.
Hope to use for pure enjoyment smile

Cheers

Mathew

1958 Viking 4400
Re: My 58 Aussie Viking build [Re: 1958Viking] #1298841
Wed Feb 13 2019 06:47 PM
Wed Feb 13 2019 06:47 PM
M
Mike B  Offline
Shop Shark
Hughesville, MD
You can add your pictures here...click on the "Use Full Editor" button, then click on "Attachment Manager", then drag and drop.

Mike B smile

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop