The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (Greg_H, archburycontrol, glenns towing, 5 Window 9434, DoubleDingo, 2 invisible), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,637
Posts967,012
Members43,723
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
51 chevy with camaro clip headers?
#1297988 Fri Feb 08 2019 01:36 AM
E
Shop Shark
I have a 1951 3100 with a sbc 383 installed with clam shell mounts on a camaro clip.. What are you using for headers? I can prob use manifolds or ram horns but I would love to run headers if poss. pics and ideas.

Re: 51 chevy with camaro clip headers?
Ecratrods #1298691 Tue Feb 12 2019 08:44 PM
New Guy
I have an original 51 GMC with the original 228 six in it. But I am swapping in a 350. My front end is stock. I am thinking (other than the steering gear interference issue) that a set of block huggers would fit. I guess we will see when I get to that point!

Please post back with what you end up using.

Ecratrods #1298831 Wed Feb 13 2019 06:08 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
E.C.

One header option that guarantees that you will get exactly what you want is to make your own. U bends and J bends are available in infinite sizes and materials and the 16 and 18 gauge stuff is easy to shape with aviation snips and it welds very nicely.

If you're a welder, or have someone available who is, making a set of custom headers is a fun project. And header technology is highly evolved so with a little research you can find header designs for whatever your intended use is. You can even add a fitting for an O2 sensor to tune your intake for a perfect air-fuel ratio.

My son was given these block hugger headers for the 350 sbc engine going into his '66 Chevy 1/2 ton and I made this exhaust H pipe for him from tubing he got from Summit Racing.

Attached Files
Headers & pipes 1.JPG (357.06 KB, 61 downloads)

Ray
Ecratrods #1298839 Wed Feb 13 2019 06:36 PM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
If you are running a front clip from a Camaro, I would think that you would start with headers for the Camaro and go from there.

I personally don't care for block huggers if you are working the vehicle and driving it much. I had a couple different sets on my 59 Suburban, and could not keep collector gaskets in them. I was running a 350 and pulling a trailer a lot of the time. I even melted the deadsoft aluminum gaskets. I went to long tube headers and never had another issue. It may be with a lighter rig, driven less (especially on the freeway, and up long hills) I may have been able to keep collector gaskets in it but, that is my experience with block huggers.

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Ecratrods #1298869 Wed Feb 13 2019 10:28 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
"I personally don't care for block huggers if you are working the vehicle and driving it much. I had a couple different sets on my 59 Suburban, and could not keep collector gaskets in them. I was running a 350 and pulling a trailer a lot of the time."

Mike,

Why do you suppose the collector gaskets were the weak link and not the gaskets at the heads? And why on short headers but not long tube?

When my now-restored '36 Chevy PU was a sbc powered rat rod in the 1960s I made a set of headers for it copying the Doug's Headers Tri-Y design and had them coated with flame sprayed aluminum. In the head port flange area the aluminum would melt and then solidify again showing that right at the head the headers do get pretty toasty but the collector area? What's up with that?

Even where the flame sprayed aluminum melted no rust ever showed up so the tubing stayed coated enough to prevent rust for the 5 years and about 50K miles it was a daily driver rat rod.

Ray
Ecratrods #1298896 Thu Feb 14 2019 01:42 AM
B
Shop Shark
I run block huggers. Had to go with NGK plugs. They are shorter and your plug boots don’t melt. On mine anyway. 350 ci.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Ecratrods #1298924 Thu Feb 14 2019 04:56 AM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
"I run block huggers. Had to go with NGK plugs. They are shorter and your plug boots don’t melt. On mine anyway. 350 ci."

Beltfed,

I'd seen "header plugs" advertised so I checked to see if the major plug manufacturers also make short plugs. In figuring out what plugs my roadster engine liked I tried out both Bosch and Champion short plugs in various heat ranges that are standard equipment in common applications and are inexpensive at auto parts stores. The ones in this photo are Champions and as you can see they provide good clearance for the plug boots in the tight spots, cylinders 1,2,7 & 8. These plug wires from Summit Racing are about 15 years and 23,000 miles old and there is no sign of the boots and wires getting toasted by the headers. So there are choices in short plugs for header clearance.

Also on this subject we are often told on this forum that headers are chronic leakers. The headers in this photo have never leaked and they are fastened by plain old stainless steel Allen head bolts and stainless steel lock washers from a local hardware store, nothing fancy. If you look closely you'll see that 2 of the bolt heads on each cylinder bank (cylinders 1 & 7 in this photo) had to be slightly machined to create clearance at the exhaust tube. That was a 5 minute job on my lathe.

Attached Files
Roadster headers.JPG (124.62 KB, 29 downloads)
Last edited by yar; Thu Feb 14 2019 05:06 AM.

Ray
Ecratrods #1298949 Thu Feb 14 2019 03:06 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Mike,

This video actually compares "shorty" headers to long tube versions and comments on the test results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bXPNy1Yn4

Ray

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop