The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (agedhorse, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,069
Posts970,530
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
12" Fans - Best CFM
#1296777 Tue Jan 29 2019 11:10 PM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Alright gentlemen I have been pouring over the internet looking at electric fan options. Suppliers come at you from all angles....most claim one is better than the other. All with varied performance ratings, all with widely varied pricing...so for those running strictly electric fans what manufacturer have you all been pleased with for both cost and performance w/o breaking the bank? I would think above all CFM is out front with 1st choices. Again, in this case (2) 12" puller fans mounted to a shroud.

Re: 12" Fans - Best CFM
Apache1 #1296790 Wed Jan 30 2019 12:29 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I don't run an electric fan, but the issue has been tossed around a lot on TheDieselStop forums for guys running the 7.3L PowerStroke. One of the guys there is a cooling system engineer and he says that the stock fan on a 7.3L draws 25 HP when the fan clutch is engaged. There's no way you can get an electric fan that will deliver as much air. Granted your engine doesn't need that much fan power, but it's still significant. I would go with the highest CFM you can get. They're probably rated with no resistance, but it's still a point for comparison.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Apache1 #1296828 Wed Jan 30 2019 04:15 AM
H
Boltergeist
Electric cooling fans are a really dumb idea, when there's all that engine power sitting there 6 inches below the water pump. The factory designers weren't dummies.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Apache1 #1296830 Wed Jan 30 2019 04:35 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I was getting at that, but leave it to Jerry to come right out and say it. wink

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Apache1 #1296840 Wed Jan 30 2019 06:02 AM
W
Shop Shark
My question is, what are you working on? I’ll agree with the other guys that there’s no way to replace a mechanical fan. On the other hand, in the case of engine swaps, it may not be possible to use a mechanical fan. Like what has been said already, the bigger, the better. On other forums I’ve seen a ton of swaps using 90’s Taurus fans, Volvo fans, and Tbird/Lincoln fans. I’m doing a non-traditional engine swap myself, I’m thinking the Volvo is going to be the best for my application being it has some better mounting options.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Whitedog #1296845 Wed Jan 30 2019 09:48 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
I am going to agree with Jerry, he says factory designers weren't dummies. The used the best technology available at the time. Just like today's factory designers are not dummies. Just about every car on the road today uses an electric fan. Even the ones with a north south engine. Why because it is more efferent at the job.The guy that says a fan on a power stroke is pulling 25HP is either not a cooling fan engineer or forgot to move a decimal place. If he is including the water pump the number is probably still not correct but closer.

Electric fans are more efficient because they can be driven at the ideal speed for the fan blade shape. A mechanical fan operates over a large rev range. Also on the open highway you often don't need a fan, there is a lot of air being forced over the radiator to cool. At low speed or stopped the engine is at or near idle an a mechanical fan is not pushing much air when it is needed most.

What I did on a recent car (Jaguar XJ6) was measure the radiator and go to the local wrecker (not sure what you guy's call them maybe auto dismantler). I found the radiator of a local built late model ar called a Ford Falcon in Australia was almost identical size and these have a 4 liter engine. For a very small sum of money I walked out with an electric fan that was designed by one of those clever factory engineer types that did a brilliant job of keeping a 4.2 liter Jaguar engine cool in stop start traffic in an Australian summer and freed up a couple of horsepower.

Also something to consider when it comes to puller and pusher fans, apart from aircon condenser fans I don't think I have ever seen a pusher fan on a factory designed car. Refer to the first sentence and make your own judgment.

Steve

Apache1 #1296862 Wed Jan 30 2019 01:39 PM
S
Shop Shark
Low speed function of a stock fan without a shroud is hideous, a good electric puller fan will walk all over it, Trucks with shrouds, what is the point, a mechanical fan will do just fine and really hard to beat in simplicity and function.

If that big diesel fan costs 25 hp to drive it, it will cost 25 horsepower to drive the alternator powering and equal electric fan as well, nothing is free in physics. The only way an electric fan is more efficient than a mechanical is when it is not running and/or low vehicle speed cooling ability. This one has been studied pretty good.

Last edited by sstock; Wed Jan 30 2019 01:44 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bli...n05i04t1aokgm4p04jiwgffwhyyih5xbk0h00410
1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Apache1 #1296874 Wed Jan 30 2019 02:40 PM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks fellows. I knew when I hit the send button on this subject it would bring your best. Yes, the parasitic loads about break even through an electrical draw or a straight mechanical one. In my case the much larger 3-row aluminum cross-flow rad already in place has allot of surface area 27" between the end caps to be exact. So, adapting some facsimile of a shroud that would be suitable using this aftermarket rad didn't seem plausible. Further, running this Camaro front clip targets the centerline of the water pump snout low on the rad.
So yes, I'm going the long way around and spending more money choosing electric over mechanical.

Subject: '59 Apache Fleetside SWB, Camaro front clip, Camaro 10 bolt posi, 350, 350....lowered...no bags. no A/C, no htr

STILL WOULD LIKE TO GET THE ELECTRIC FAN GANG TO CHIME IN ON WHAT PREFERENCES THEY HAVE ON BRANDS, ETC.

Last edited by Apache1; Wed Jan 30 2019 02:52 PM.

Apache1 #1296924 Wed Jan 30 2019 07:46 PM
V
Shop Shark
12" electric fan won't work properly, but a 16" does for me.......

The 350 SBC mounted too low in my 49 GMC to center a mechanical fan to the radiator so I went electric and I won't go back LOL.....

The radiator on a GMC is made a little differently than a same year AD Chevy in that it mounts a little further forward. This additional inch or so allowed me to make up a shroud and mount a 16" 2700 CFM electric fan to it. I use a fan sender mounted in the water jacket of the intake manifold that turns on at 200 degrees and turns off at 185 degrees
The fan hardly ever comes on when cruising below 60 MPH, avg'ing 190-195 degrees by being cooled by air flow through the radiator. It comes on when idling or when driving in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and the fan maintains the temps from 195 to 205. It's never gotten above 210 on 90 degree days.......

This is a pic of my fan/shroud setup:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I saw a similar electric fan/shroud setup to this linked one on a Chevy AD at a car show.. It had just enough clearance and the owner said he had no cooling problems:
Link

Apache1 #1296928 Wed Jan 30 2019 08:26 PM
W
Shop Shark
For what it’s worth, Silverados since about 2007 and Ford’s since about 2010 have used dual electric fans and no belt driven fans. My wife’s 5.4 powered Expedition weighs around 6000lbs and has a 10,000 lb tow rating. So electric fans do have merit.

Anyhow, I was thumbing through a Derale catalog, they have numerous sizes of fan and shroud combos. Most are around $200. I’m sure you can find one that fits good.

I’ve read a lot of posts about the Volvo fan relay setup. They have a high/low fan switch which goes through the relay module. Looks like a clean setup.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop