The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (GeorgeCz, 48bigtrucks, DennisM, Cosmo, Cozsum, 1 invisible), 201 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,402
Posts973,268
Members43,924
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Car stories
#1296656 Mon Jan 28 2019 09:58 PM
C
Shop Shark
If I'm boring you guys just speak up. Been down with what is called 3rd Cranial Nerve Palsey where left eye lid is closed and pupil doesn't work so no detail work possible and getting cabin fever. Been messing with cars for 70 years so have a real library of stories and trying to recall some of the funnier ones. When the topic of Corvairs came up recently I thought of one where a woman brought a Corvair in to get it "winterized". We told her it had an air cooled engine and was in Texas so neither anti freeze or lighter weight oil was needed. She looked at me and said "how much does a shop ticket cost?" I told her less than 50 cents to which she told me she would give me 5 dollars to put "Winterize car" on the ticket to show her husband to keep him off her back. Story #2 Guy brought a Corvair in and said he was towing it to California and wanted the driveshaft removed. I told him it didn't have a driveshaft and that the engine was connected directly to the trans axle and driven by a quill shaft. Even showed him one sitting on the bench to which he replied he didn't believe me and he would find a shop that would do what he wanted. Story #3 Woman had a Gremlin that she had taken to a shop for a new starter. Got a starter from a friend that was so good at rebuilding he had all the race car and construction equipment trade from the entire area. Said first starter no good so friend sent a second to the shop doing the work. Said second starter no good so he said to bring the Gremlin to his shop. Put starter on and woman hit switch to start and starter spun engine over at about 400 rpm but no start. She screamed that starter was no good either and when he said it was she said it couldn't be since the car wasn't starting and running. I don't know if she was blonde. Story #4 Our adopted daughter IS blonde so when she got a new mower with a tape across the gas filler cap that said "Fill With Oil Before Starting" she removed cap and filled tank with oil. The beat could go on & on & on.

Evan
Re: Car stories
coilover #1296659 Mon Jan 28 2019 10:16 PM
Shop Shark
The sad part of these stories is.
There are really people out there that don't have a clue.

Like an attorney that was asked, where does electricity come from?
She/He said, from the light switch. eeeek

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
coilover #1296696 Tue Jan 29 2019 03:40 AM
Master Gabster
Evan,
I for one, won't get tired of your stories. You have a wealth of knowledge, and a lifetime of experience.

coilover #1296700 Tue Jan 29 2019 03:49 AM
M
Shop Shark
Let the stories roll !!!!

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

coilover #1296712 Tue Jan 29 2019 04:57 AM
R
Shop Shark
My mechanic also has a parts store. He swears this is true, but he's also a BS'er, so who knows!
Anyhow, he said a guy came in looking for parts for a Goolie. Friend told him he had never heard of a Goolie. Guy said, "I've got it sitting outside, come and look. They went out, and right there on the trunk it said---

Pontiac - 6000LE.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

coilover #1296719 Tue Jan 29 2019 07:20 AM
C
Shop Shark
Here's another; my childhood friend had a 36 Ford coupe, a 40 Dodge pickup, and a 48 Chrysler coupe. Was playing with the 36 in a bottom land field at the state mental institute and got stuck. Walked back to his place and drove the pickup back to field to pull 36 out. Tied pickup to car, put car in low gear and pulled throttle out just a tiny bit and jumped in truck to pull on car and got both stuck. Went back home and got Chrysler and tied it to front of pickup which was still tied to the 36---what could go wrong here!! Success at last but fast idling cars became disconnected and started finding their own way around the field. He bull wrestled the 36 to a stop only to have the pickup crash into both vehicles. Since it happened on state land he had to fill out an accident report that read: 1st vehicle--1936 Ford, Driver Jim Bugh, 2nd vehicle--1940 Dodge pickup, Driver Jim Bugh, 3rd vehicle--1948 Chrysler, Driver Jim Bugh Wonder how the ladies at the DMV handled that one? Jim has been gone for many years now but stories on him alone could make a War and Peace length novel.

Evan
coilover #1296728 Tue Jan 29 2019 02:49 PM
W
Master Gabster
I was watching a car show on TV with the closed caption on. It said " we are going to install a Ford link suspension." Another one says "we are getting a cabinchassy.

George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Rich'sToys #1296764 Tue Jan 29 2019 08:59 PM
O
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
My mechanic also has a parts store. He swears this is true, but he's also a BS'er, so who knows!
Anyhow, he said a guy came in looking for parts for a Goolie. Friend told him he had never heard of a Goolie. Guy said, "I've got it sitting outside, come and look. They went out, and right there on the trunk it said---

Pontiac - 6000LE.

grin

That's almost as bad as the blonde and the 26 oz water pump at FLAPS.
(Datsun 260Z).

coilover #1296766 Tue Jan 29 2019 09:12 PM
W
Master Gabster
When I worked for Auto Zone a lady got extremely mad because I would not install an alternator in her car. Another lady came and said she was on her way to Indianapolis, about 55 miles and would I fill her car with oil. I said no but I would check it for her, it was ok.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Old 'Burb Lover #1296837 Wed Jan 30 2019 05:15 AM
R
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Old 'Burb Lover

That's almost as bad as the blonde and the 26 oz water pump at FLAPS.
(Datsun 260Z).

Wonder if that was the same blonde who couldn't figure out what the 710 cap on the engine was for??

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop