The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (29tons, delwrench, 66flea, bluesman, Charles in CA, 2 invisible), 131 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,791
Posts942,562
Members43,043
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Large Marge Has Left The Building
Rusty Rod #1295135 Thu Jan 17 2019 02:23 AM
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
Sorry to hear that Large Marge got trashed. I just went back and looked at the dates.. almost 4 years!

PS. How's Joe Jr. doing?

Yep was to be done before Denise passed away... I kept telling PMK to give it back if he wasn't going to do it for almost 6 months before it was dumped in the yard. I got taken to the cleaners along w/others. He's already has a demand letter from a lawyer from another guy & he'll be hearing from the AG, the FBI, the DMV, the EPA and any other fed/state/local authorities that we can think of. I'd love to go after him, his wife since she's the manager & his dad since it's on his property & I believe his shop. In reality all 3 were involved since they all have a hand in the shop where it happened..
Joe & his family are doing good, he works for a local Caterpillar dealer turning wrenches. He was given a company Van to drive to & from work, can basically set his own hours & enjoys his work.

Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets & Sign Your DONORS CARD.
The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.

Two possibilities exist:
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.
Arthur C. Clarke

coilover #1295137 Thu Jan 17 2019 02:26 AM
T

nothing like starting w/a rust bucket. Looks great & it's a shame that some shops makes it harder for other to make a true & honest living

Two possibilities exist:
Arthur C. Clarke

coilover #1295138 Thu Jan 17 2019 02:32 AM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by coilover
I just don't understand these people. I have been in the restoration business since 1976 and never had a single complaint; in fact I get invited to former customers for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals and to family events like weddings and birthdays. My shop has no office so when customers show up they are right in the midst of the madhouse and are welcome to apply sweat equity to their projects to lower costs. No "Insurance Prevents" signs just noise, smell, grease, oil and occasional profanity. Shop time is $40hr which might explain the two year waiting list to get in the door. NOTHING scares us (see pictures) and we have had many best of class/show winners. The car below won best of class at the National Oldsmobile Show that was held in Arlington, Texas a few year ago with many having to see the step by step build pictures to believe it. I have no idea of the boats and airplanes the cheats can afford but being honest and fair has made me very comfortable with two places left in Florida (sold the house on Okaloosa Island), one left at Branson, Missouri (sold one to Bass Pro founder) and another when they doubled the septic leech field size, one in Iowa and one in Hawaii. Using a fair and honest business approach and WORKING HARD has left my wife and myself in a comfortable position which makes me think the cheats may be just too lazy and want the good things but would rather cheat than work to get them.
AS RECEIVED:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/XrbQYyqP/Bug-Tussle-006.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/477z5Jnt/Bug-Tussle-002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/G4mTKc52/Bug-Tussle-008.jpg[/img]
FINISHED SHOW WINNER;
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/YhGS8b65/Finished-54-Olds-004.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/F1SqZSfP/Finished-54-Olds-005.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/bSR95qfv/Finished-54-Olds-003.jpg[/img]

Before and after pictures taken at same perspective.

You need to give yourself a 20% raise. It will help the rest of us relative hacks to feel better about what we are charging.
Carl

TooMany2count #1295151 Thu Jan 17 2019 06:43 AM
C
Shop Shark
When I read what I had posted it seemed to be a bit pompous if not outright bragging. To set the record straight my wife drives a fifteen year old Buick LeSabre and I drive a 20 year old Ford Ranger with 400k miles on it. Our house we live in is a 1300 sq foot wood frame one that sits on concrete blocks. Our house in Plano is too big for old people and is leased out. Airplanes, boats, and even riding in the back seat makes me sick so no journeys to exotic places. No kids, hobbies, sports, or high end entertaining; just work 90 hours a week and use income to keep shop equipment updated, buy new, and invest what is left over. Really quite a boring couple I'd say EXCEPT if the topic is old cars and trucks. If that is on the table then pull up a chair!

Evan
coilover #1295172 Thu Jan 17 2019 03:18 PM
T
Hey Evan, I didn't consider bragging in a bad way. I considered it bragging in a good way. Hell I'd be proud & toot my own horn also if it was me & this subject came up. All it shows is with good work, good workers that any size shop large or small can make it out there. That you were doing it honestly & was up front with your customers what was going to be done & what it was going to cost & the time it was going to take. Just keep up the great work & prove that there are GOOD HONEST shops still out there for folks to go to. And if there's money to invest, why not. It helps you enjoy what you do & it means you can invest back into the shop to keep it up to date on the tools & technology that is needed in the business...joe

Two possibilities exist:
Arthur C. Clarke

TooMany2count #1295180 Thu Jan 17 2019 04:35 PM
Global Mod
Joe, I can give you a couple of names of local established shops that do good work. One did the restoration on my '38 and does a lot of restomods & restorations. The other does mainly customs. Both do retail body work as their main line of business. Both have owners from all over the country bringing them work so there's a waiting list. If you want the contact info let me know.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #1295236 Fri Jan 18 2019 02:00 AM
T
Originally Posted by Tiny
Joe, I can give you a couple of names of local established shops that do good work. One did the restoration on my '38 and does a lot of restomods & restorations. The other does mainly customs. Both do retail body work as their main line of business. Both have owners from all over the country bringing them work so there's a waiting list. If you want the contact info let me know.

That would be great BUT... Rich took all the money I had at the time to do the work. It was the last of the inheritance I had so now I'm on a shoe string budget to fix everything things he screwed up & he screwed everything up even to the point he left the pieces of metal he cut out for repairs inside the body voids to make noise and or rust. I may cut everything off the the front end and put a straight axle under it again & then Z the frame to drop it down a bit. A life long friend said bring it home & he'd help me & he's more pi$$ed off then I am, what he don't know I'm not pi$$ed off or upset, I am infuriated over it all but refuse to let it get under my skin, raise my blood pressure or anything else that may be detrimental to my health get to me.. I am weighing everything to see what is the cheapest yet safe for me to do. Rich of Purple Monkey Kustoms knew what he was doing from the beginning because everything he did was dangerous and could have killed me & who ever was in my bus & anybody I would have hit. That worthless piece of human flesh used round stock to adjust the angle on the rear end && the center pin on the springs are barely in the spring perch hole. That was an accidental waiting for a place to happen. And that's just one of hundreds of trashy work he did. When I get 250 plus pictures and the video we recorded downloaded I will post a link. There will be lots of head shaking when all of you see it all....joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; Fri Jan 18 2019 02:54 PM.

Two possibilities exist:
Arthur C. Clarke

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop