The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (buoymaker, 49nut, buckaroo01, Bogart's Truck, 631Riccardo, 1 invisible), 257 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,445
Posts973,669
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
block fitting for oil gauge line--big mess??
#1292630 Sat Dec 29 2018 01:46 AM
E
Shop Shark
I'm backdating the gauges on my '48 GMC 1 Ton and need to change out the oil fitting at the block that supplies oil to the gauge as well as to the oil filter. There is a 90* brass fitting that threads into the block with one outlet feeding the gauge and the other outlet going to the oil filter. The oil filter connection will have to be removed first and I'm wondering how big a mess I'll be making when it's disconnected. I'm guessing the outlet to the gauge would only leak out under pressure but I could easily be wrong.
What should I expect? Thanks, Jim

Re: block fitting for oil gauge line--big mess??
Eureka Jim #1292654 Sat Dec 29 2018 03:26 AM
W
Master Gabster
All you can expect will be a little drip unless you or someone starts the engine. Then you will have a big mess.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Eureka Jim #1292655 Sat Dec 29 2018 03:31 AM
H
Boltergeist
Put a couple of rags under the fitting to catch the drips. There won't be much, but the line going to the oil filter will dribble enough to make a mess unless you raise the end of the line above the level of the filter housing. If you pull the top off the filter canister and remove the element first, there will be a lot less mess to deal with.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Eureka Jim #1292667 Sat Dec 29 2018 05:29 AM
E
Shop Shark
Hahaha George, even I know better than that! And thanks, Jerry, I didn't think of removing the element but I will now. I'm always learning something new on Stovebolt.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop