The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Tech Tip Highlight

Get your truck ready for winter
This old Tech Tip stands the test of time

Check for details

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (32vld, dgrinnan, DennisM, C10 - C90 Bill, D B Cooper, 1 invisible), 174 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,514
Posts894,027
Members41,350
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram #1290003
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:06 PM
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:06 PM
D
darthintel  Offline OP
Awesome Grandpa
Oregon
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to re-wire my 1954 Chev 3100 truck, and created a wiring diagram to follow.
See the attached picture.
I'm open to all critiques. smile

Last edited by darthintel; Fri Dec 07 2018 04:27 PM.
Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290008
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:18 PM
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:18 PM
tclederman  Offline
Boltergeist
Jarvisburg, NC

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 47 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290014
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:53 PM
Wed Dec 05 2018 11:53 PM
G
Grigg  Online
Master Gabster
Lexington, VA
I think you’re showing lots of fuses in the the turn signal wiring. Usually just the main power to signal switch is fused, and brake lights fused separately from signal switch.

I Haven’t looked in detail over the rest of it, compared to original, or evaluated wire color codes and common turn signal details.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290048
Thu Dec 06 2018 03:28 AM
Thu Dec 06 2018 03:28 AM
59 fleet  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Oklahoma
A couple other comments, I would suggest nothing between the battery and the ammeter except a fusible link. You show the power for wipers, horn, flasher connected to the battery side of the ammeter, meaning not only will they always be connected to power, but also the ammeter will indicate the current going to them from the alternator. Generally the ammeter only is to indicate charging current, not accessories current. If you are concerned with running that accessory current through the ignition switch, just add one or two relays to carry that power.

I don't know what horn you are using, most only have one power wire going to the horn and the horn relay switches that power. The horn is grounded at its attachment to the truck.

Are you going to add switches to light the dome light when you open the doors?

To each his own, I don't see anything that won't work, just a little unusual. Be sure to place a fusible link between the battery and the ammeter.

Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290086
Thu Dec 06 2018 04:21 PM
Thu Dec 06 2018 04:21 PM
D
darthintel  Offline OP
Awesome Grandpa
Oregon
Thanks for the feedback. I initially didn't have any fuses coming from the turn signal wiring going to the tail lights or parking lights, and only had the power to the flasher fused. It didn't look right not having any of the turn signal outputs from the switch fused, so I changed it. If it's common practice to not fuse the turn signal outputs, that's good to know.
I don't understand the comment that brake lights are fused separately from signal switch.
The brake light switch is fused feeding the turn signal unit-and also the outputs fused.

I wired the wipers and dome light and horn hot all the time, as I want the ability to turn on the dome light, wipers, and honk the horn independent of the ignition switch. Also - I want to be able to see charge / discharge current on the ammeter from all the accessories. Don't you want to be able to see the overall health of the charging circuit including drain from all accessories? This is how the original wiring diagram shows it.
Do I need to move the power feed to dome light, horn, and wipers to the other side of the ammeter?
Fusible link is a good idea between the battery and ammeter.

Good point on the horn - I will switch the power with the relay going to the horn.
I'm not adding switches to the doors for the dome light. Only using the dome light switch.

I also forgot to wire up the high beam indicator lamp.

Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290091
Thu Dec 06 2018 05:38 PM
Thu Dec 06 2018 05:38 PM
D
darthintel  Offline OP
Awesome Grandpa
Oregon
I made some changes .....

Last edited by darthintel; Fri Dec 07 2018 04:28 PM.
Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290175
Fri Dec 07 2018 07:06 AM
Fri Dec 07 2018 07:06 AM
B
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
I don't know why we are supposed to critique a wiring diagram. I don't know why it was created. There is a wiring diagram for that truck. There are instructions that come with turn signal switches and are all over the internet. You did not complete the alt wiring. I say all this because this is the type of info that gets on the internet and confuses. It has homemade non-standard symbols...... and has been pointed out as having mistakes. Also the horn relay still seems to be shown wrong. I advise you use the known wiring diagrams available. You don't seem to be able to recreate them. You show a steering wheel on a wiring diagram. You have arrows going up and down on the end of the "turn signal box". You have 25 fuses for a simple old truck and show no connectors. Too many things to list.
My warning is to all who see this, is not to use it for anything. Reinventing the wheel for no reason. if you didn't know what you were doing and need us to edit this diagram, you should have used the existing official wiring documents and wired your truck. A very wasted and dangerous exercise as I see it.
It is a good idea to see if you can draw a schematic or wiring diagram just for fun. You can check it against the known literature. But you have invented one out of the blue. I have wired many trucks and always refer to the books.
Please take this with a grain of salt. I don't mean any harm. It is hard to critique without listing errors. It is also necessary in this case to ask why. Sorry for the time saving directness.

1960 GMC K1001 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
To each his own or the Highway.
All I know is what the voices in my head tell me and a little from watching TV.

Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290198
Fri Dec 07 2018 04:22 PM
Fri Dec 07 2018 04:22 PM
D
darthintel  Offline OP
Awesome Grandpa
Oregon
I have the original wiring diagram for the truck. You don't need to critique the diagram - it's just for fun. Why it was created you ask - I enjoy making my own diagrams, and thought I would share. I know it's not per standard schematic drawing standards - it's mine and that's ok. I'm not trying to re-create the original schematic per say. I AM able to re-create them if I wanted to. If I want a steering wheel and up down arrows on my turn signal bar - it's ok - it's mine. I accept your opinion and don't disagree with anything you or others have pointed out. This site is for fun - and very informative.
I've made changes on my OWN wiring diagram to include a power distribution panel and remove all the in line fuses. Yes I have picture of a steering wheel, yes I have non conventional schematic pictures. Yes it's ok.

I have a valid reason to make my own wiring diagram - because I want to - and I can.
No worries - no harm no foul.
I just won't post it on this site for others to look at and get confused.
I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by darthintel; Sun Dec 09 2018 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290199
Fri Dec 07 2018 04:33 PM
Fri Dec 07 2018 04:33 PM
Justhorsenround  Offline
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
darthintel, just to be clear, in your initial post you asked for critiques. With this bunch you should expect to get just that. The Staff appreciates everyone keeping this civil. You put a lot of thought into your presentation and even though it is thought by some to be overkill, it is yours not theirs. The possibility exists that someone could find helpful ideas by looking at it. Continue to post your “out of the box ideas” making sure to designate each as “Non-factory Correct”. Help, no matter how off the wall it may be, is appreciated.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Diagram [Re: darthintel] #1290207
Fri Dec 07 2018 06:20 PM
Fri Dec 07 2018 06:20 PM
D
darthintel  Offline OP
Awesome Grandpa
Oregon
Hello Martin,
A really appreciate all the feedback. I should have been more descriptive as to the purpose of my schematic.

Disclaimers:
Yes - It's my own diagram and doesn't follow conventional schematic rules
Yes - It's just for fun to make it my own.
Yes - it contains fun images for accessories.
Yes - I've kind of followed the original color codes, but not in all cases.
No - I'm not creating this to replace the original schematic.
Yes - I enjoy drawing for fun.
Yes - I value all feedback
I've attached my latest wiring diagram for others to look at and let me know if I've made any major mistakes.
Thank you!

Attached Files
RelaysREV2.jpg (108 downloads)
MY Own wiring diagram for FUN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop