Planning to put the motor and trans back in permanently between Christmas and New Years.
I shifted the steering over an inch, but I lost the two top bolts in the process. They now are on the edge of of the frame. I'm leaving it for now, but I'm planning on doing something like welding a 1/2 inch plate to the top of the frame and bolting the steering box to that. We'll see. I was considering a power steering kit, but Mar-K had a sale on tailgates, then they had a sale on bed wood and strips, so I gladly gave them all my money.
Thanks Jay. The 47 is currently sitting in my garage. When I bought my new GMC a couple years ago it didn't quite fit where the Yukon used to be. So I notched out the wall and built the hokey box at the back of where the 47 is in that pic. My wife shakes her head calling it just one more of the redneck things around here. Haha. But my GMC fits in the garage now.
Here's a few pics of my actual work shop. The kid that used to keep the place clean left more than a year ago for college and I haven't replaced him. Now there's crap everywhere and it'll never be this clean again. Oh well.
OK, so these are from today. Haha! I literally shove the debris aside so I can use the mill. Hardly a horizontal surface without piles of crap on it. Oh well, I've got more work than I can do and the bills are getting paid. I realize this isn't driveline related but good fun anyway.
My buddy Mike came over Sat to permanently weld in the new motor mounts. I had a minute yesterday to slap some paint on the area. The mounts are Chassis Engineering AKA Heidts. They're supposed to be bolt in, but I'd really not go that route. It'll still be a few weeks before we can put the motor and trans back in to stay.
So I made a lot of progress since Christmas with the help of a few good buddies. Got the motor and trans "permanently" mounted. Ignition wired. New fuel line, drive shaft etc etc. I can now turn the key on the dash and it starts. Today I mounted the gas pedal (79 Chevy truck, and I might move it). Still tons to do. Seems like I get three things done and create one new one.
Took it for a test ride. Using literally a shoestring for a throttle, I got a ways down the industrial street in Warren Mi. where we were working on it in second gear and decided to pull into a large factory parking lot to turn around. Then I discovered two things at once. First, that there was a gate blocking the parking lot and second that I had no brakes at all. DOH! the brake pedal lever now hits the exhaust manifold that wasn't in the truck when I was pushing it around. Was able to get it stopped by trashing my trans and backing up. Then I carefully drove back to my buddy's shop.
I made up a new clutch rod. The fork now sits a couple inches closer to the front of the truck than the original. It works OK, but I'll probably make another one that's a little stronger at some point.