The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Tech Tip Highlight

Get your truck ready for winter
This old Tech Tip stands the test of time

Check for details

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
10 registered members (32vld, moparguy, bartender, Chev4t6, paul65, Justhorsenround), 161 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,514
Posts894,025
Members41,350
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1289561
Sat Dec 01 2018 08:09 PM
Sat Dec 01 2018 08:09 PM
Tiny  Online
Global Mod
South Central Kansas
Bad grounds will make lights do some strange things, especially on a six volt system.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1289583
Sun Dec 02 2018 12:37 AM
Sun Dec 02 2018 12:37 AM
C
cmayna  Offline
Shop Shark
Menlo Park, Ca
If your truck had eyebrows,,,,,,,,then I would worry about it winking at you.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1290124
Thu Dec 06 2018 10:27 PM
Thu Dec 06 2018 10:27 PM
47PUJim  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Here’s the latest from the “winking lights”.
I upgraded my battery cables to the frame and starter with 1/0 cable. Couldn’t locate 0/0.
Then I cleaned grounds. Tried to resolve the problem as per the above suggestions.
Jerry, following your suggestion, did disconnect one sides ground. Darn other headlight was brighter than the sun off my large forehead! Now I must figure out how to clean/establish a better ground the the dim headlight.
However I’ve opened another can of worms......seems now, according to the indicator light on the speedo, I have NO headlights on low beams. When I ran a test light on hi beam it’s barely lit. Same light on lo beam is brighter. Could that reflect then the original light switch is a factor in this also? I’ll Check with the meter in a bit.
Back to the ole drawing board!
Like the mechanic set, “ it’s not acting up now, bring it in the next time it happens........”. Haha

Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1290132
Thu Dec 06 2018 11:26 PM
Thu Dec 06 2018 11:26 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
It's possible somebody in the past has mixed up the wiring where the wrong prong of the 3-pin headlight connector is attached to ground on at least one side. When you're looking at the connector plug on the back side of the headlight, the center pin is NOT the ground. I don't remember offhand which one of the side connectors is, but it's pretty easy to figure out.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1290136
Fri Dec 07 2018 12:23 AM
Fri Dec 07 2018 12:23 AM
47PUJim  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Jerry,
I think that’s likely what happened. I was looking at the ‘47 manual & its wiring diagram and it looks as if the middle connector IS the ground. Anyhow I switched two connections and things worked out.....AFTER I shot some Radio Shack Electronics Cleaner into the original light switch. I knew the rheostat was bad as the dash lights needed massaging before they would light. I sprayed a “liberal amount” into the switch. Then I vigorously opened and closed the switch, meanwhile activating the rheostat.
The result......LIGHTS! So looks as the light switch should be replaced soon. Both the hi and low are lit. One low beam isn’t as bright but I can chase down that easily with a meter.
Thank you and everyone who took time to offer solutions!
The ole girl ain’t “winking” no more! :-)

Re: “Winking Headlights” [Re: 47PUJim] #1290139
Fri Dec 07 2018 01:04 AM
Fri Dec 07 2018 01:04 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
Another potential problem with dim or inoperative headlights is the dimmer switch. It's down there in a very wet, dirty, salty, and generally hostile environment. I like to use the headlight switch and dimmer to carry very low amperage to switch relays on and off for the main headlight current. That setup makes regular lights noticeably brighter, and it's just about a necessity when an upgrade to halogen or high output LED headlights is done.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop