The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (Brian Wise, DES57, D B Cooper, 4 invisible), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,203
Posts1,047,801
Members46,221
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joe H #1289824 Tue Dec 04 2018 08:03 AM
S
Shop Shark
Ok thxs . What is a good tire pressure setting ?I have mine at 35 psi on radials .I was think maybe running 32 psi soft tire maybe handle the bumps better not sure if that would help

sal moreno #1289850 Tue Dec 04 2018 03:04 PM
J
'Bolter
35 should be ok, Sal and 32 should also be ok. Too soft and you won't recover from turns, bumps, etc as quickly. Also the wider the tire you have is, the less it is going to match the design of your front end and the worse your handling will be.

Now here is something I found interesting in one of the shop manuals I have last night. This is for the 48-51 years and the book was created by and copyrighted by The Chevrolet Division of General Motors in 1950. When you look at this scanned drawing you may see at least 3 interesting things:
1. The angle the drag link should be sitting at is shown, but is ignored by the remainder of the illustration.
2. The drag link sits at an exaggerated angle leaning upward from the pitman arm to the steering arm.
3. The springs are shown as being shackled at the rear. This obviously isn't correct.

Granted this drawing is to serve as an example for caster angle, but what was this technical writer thinking (or drinking) when they put this in and why go ahead and draw the correct line for the drag link? The correct number of leaves in the spring are shown, and the spring is shown at the correct arc. Just a little puzzling in light of the last 7 pages of discussion...

Attached Images
draglink.jpg (53.73 KB, 79 downloads)

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
sal moreno #1289869 Tue Dec 04 2018 06:17 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
OK- - - - -this discussion isn't going to change any "hearts and minds" like they used to say about Southeast Asia, but the way we evaluated modifications on the racers was to chain the frame down to the floor on adjustable screw jacks at the desired ride height, assemble the steering and suspension without springs, and cycle it through the full range of travel while actually measuring bump steer. With a leaf spring setup and a straight axle, that would require fabricating a swivel arm to position the axle in place of half a spring, using the rigid spring mount as a pivot point. Nobody who is participating in this discussion is likely to do that, so I just wasted a couple of billion electrons and a few minutes of my time!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop