The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Tech Tip Highlight

Get your truck ready for winter
This old Tech Tip stands the test of time

Check for details

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Bill Ryle, Clayton50, 3B, Estock, bluesman, 1Plowboy, 2 invisible), 203 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,516
Posts894,038
Members41,350
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Safety Plate Side Glass ?? [Re: marzach] #1289762
Mon Dec 03 2018 05:42 PM
Mon Dec 03 2018 05:42 PM
J
Jon G  Offline
Shop Shark
Dallas, TX
Jerry, did you ever use the division bar channels and flexible channels that had a strip of nylon in the bottom of the channel for the glass to slide on and a more generous amount of whiskers on the sides? I haven't seen those sold for about 30 years. Interestingly J.C. Whitney used to have a very good selection of them. Glass installers around here commonly put graphite in the other channels (the ones lacking the nylon strips) to help make the glass slide better. Those generally have a plain felt bottom. Unless the cut edge of the glass is smoothed and polished very well, it will tear that felt up tout de suite.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Safety Plate Side Glass ?? [Re: marzach] #1289772
Mon Dec 03 2018 06:48 PM
Mon Dec 03 2018 06:48 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
When I was managing my brother's body shop, I found out pretty quickly that subletting all my glass work to a mobile glass shop was the way to go. That included rebuilding window track channels, etc. It didn't take very many mistakes by ham-fisted body men that resulted in glass breakage to suck up the profit margin on a job. On any work that involved doing repairs around windows, etc. we always removed the glass instead of trying to mask around them. An unbroken layer of paint under the glass always made for a better-quality job and since we specialized in high-end vehicles like Jag, BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc. the cost of doing that kind of work was not a factor. If we didn't charge outrageous prices, the snobs we worked for couldn't brag about how much their toys cost! We were more than happy to accommodate them!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  tclederman, Tony'N Weatherford 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop