The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (59 fleet, 2ManyTrucks, 32vsnake, 51Craig1Ton, delky, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,204
Posts1,047,808
Members46,221
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joe H #1289667 Sun Dec 02 2018 07:41 PM
S
Shop Shark
Sounds like u have the same set like my truck new lowered springs up front . I put new tapered roller bearings up front with sealed tie rods and drag link new every king pins shocks except no sway bar. I still haven’t got a alignment yet . I just test drove hit a bump I notice it pulled to the left so I figured it’s bump steer. It has one the caster wedge that came out of it but missing the other one I didn’t put back in cuz it broke cuz of rust .my original question was the bump steer caused because I lowered the truck and do I have to raise my put it back to stock height to get rid of bump steer ?

sal moreno #1289669 Sun Dec 02 2018 07:50 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
This has been an interesting discussion, from the perspective of several different viewpoints. I'm accustomed to dealing with the "go fast- - - -turn left" crowd, where we put a bunch of vehicles so close together they could pass notes to each other out the windows, for dozens of laps, and we do it at speeds well over 100 MPH. ANY unintended steering input under those circumstances is too much, and it can wreck the whole crowd. With that in mind, we go to extreme lengths to make sure the steering and suspension does exactly what it's told.

With a couple of traffic lanes to play around in, at speeds half or less what the round trackers deal with, I can see where herding an unpredictable vehicle in the general direction we want it to go might be acceptable. I just look at things from a different point of reference.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
sal moreno #1289707 Mon Dec 03 2018 02:09 AM
'Bolter
Originally Posted by sal moreno
I just test drove hit a bump I notice it pulled to the left so I figured it’s bump steer. It has one the caster wedge that came out of it but missing the other one I didn’t put back in cuz it broke cuz of rust .my original question was the bump steer caused because I lowered the truck and do I have to raise my put it back to stock height to get rid of bump steer ?

You would have saved a whole lot of time for us if you would have disclosed, right from the get go, that you are missing the very part which would is likely causing you all of your trouble.

"A castor shim.
It is missing.
I have bump steer.
Anyone have any idea why I have bump steer?"

sal moreno #1289708 Mon Dec 03 2018 02:18 AM
H
When he puts that caster shim back in should he lubricate it with castor oil?

"Inquiring minds want to know!"
LOL!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

52Carl #1289732 Mon Dec 03 2018 07:15 AM
S
Shop Shark
I didn’t think one small piece of shim would cause the bump steer .

52Carl #1289733 Mon Dec 03 2018 07:17 AM
S
Shop Shark
I did put back the bigger shim but the other one isn’t that big besides most everyone is saying caster isn’t what causes bump steer

sal moreno #1289747 Mon Dec 03 2018 02:23 PM
J
'Bolter
Look at some of the vender sites in the above links, or go to your local alignment shop or spring shop ( old dirty shop will be a better bet ) and get two new 3 or 4 degree shims. Replace what you have, set the toe-in to 1/8" at the front, then let us know how it drives. You do not need to raise the front back up.

You have to have caster and toe-in set before it will ever drive right, how much of each is different for each truck, but having only one or none is not the correct amount!

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; Tue Dec 04 2018 03:41 PM.
sal moreno #1289760 Mon Dec 03 2018 05:25 PM
H
Stovebolt front axles are stiff and heavy enough that it's not practical to make side to side adjustments, so putting the same amount of shim at both sides is about the only option you have. Putting different caster shims at each side just bends the springs- - - -and short of getting the alignment checked by a professional shop, there's no telling what the actual angle will be. Ford axles on vehicles with a single transverse spring could be bent with the right fixtures and big bottle jacks to get an exact alignment. Not so with Chevy and other vehicles with two front springs and heavier-made axles.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

sal moreno #1289795 Tue Dec 04 2018 01:16 AM
'Bolter
Sal, are you pulling our legs? You are missing a castor shim on one side and you can't figure out why the truck doesn't handle properly?
Try removing one of your front tires and test drive the truck without it. Maybe GM didn't know what they were doing when they suggest that we use both front tires.

Carl
December fools day victim

52Carl #1289823 Tue Dec 04 2018 07:58 AM
S
Shop Shark
No your not understanding what I’m saying both sides have caster shims the ones that are missing are the ones that crumbled from being rusted that I didn’t put back in . They were thinner than the ones that are in there now so I didn’t bother putting those back in . I figured since I lowered it would need different ones anyway .

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop