The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (55shaker, 32vsnake, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Trotter, 2 invisible), 116 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,203
Posts1,047,790
Members46,221
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Shop Shark
I have a 54 3600 with the CCP front disc brakes and power booster. Its been fine for three years and just last week I smelled brakes on a 10 mile drive. The front wheels were hot but the backs were fine. I jacked up the truck and couldn't spin the front tires until I cracked the bleeder screw. I pumped the pedal 2 or 3 times and the wheels locked up again. I pulled the calipers off and the pistons pushed in with a c clamp without much resistance. Could it be in the master cylinder or the residual valves? I don't want to start replacing parts I don't need to. Need help on diagnosing please.
Thanks Sharon

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Why do you have residual valves on disc brakes?
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
S
Shop Shark
I thought they might be built into the master cylinder. UPDATE. I adjusted the rear shoes and found they do not bind at all only the fronts. There is 1/8" free play in the pushrod to the booster also.

H
Try loosening the flare nuts upstream of the flex lines in the front. It's unusual for both flex lines to fail at once, but not impossible. If the calipers stay applied with the metal lines vented upstream of the flex lines the flex lines have collapsed inside.

Edit: some boosters have an adjusting screw between the booster diaphragm and the master cylinder, but that one would probably affect all the brakes if it's out of adjustment.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

S
Shop Shark
Thanks Jerry, I will give that a try.
Sharon

Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Sharon,

This explains why your front disc brakes have residual pressure valves:

https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/how-to-series/four-things-to-know-about-brake-valves

Obviously your overall system is correct for your application or it wouldn't have worked perfectly for 3 years. Now something is keeping hydraulic pressure on your calipers when you take your foot off the brake pedal. I would use a process of elimination releasing pressure at the MC flare nut first, then at the residual pressure valve and finally at the caliper and see where in the system the blockage is.

Good Luck!

Ray
S
Shop Shark
You need residual valves because the master cylinder is level with the calipers without the residual valves the brake fluid will back flow into the master cylinder . There’s one for the front and for the rear

H
If residual valves are used with disc brakes, they need to be VERY low pressure items. Calipers have no springs to retract the pads away from the rotors, so residual pressure in the lines above a pound or two will create drag and overheating. It also takes very little pressure to move the large diameter caliper pistons, compared to a drum brake wheel cylinder. The heavy spring pressure of drum brake shoe retracting springs allows much higher static pressure to remain in the lines, which also keeps the wheel cylinder cups expanded against the cylinder walls to avoid air leaks into the fluid.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

S
Shop Shark
Thanks for the info. I will remove the flex hoses first and see if I blow thru them. then onto the calipers being the right side drags considerably more than the left.
Sharon

S
Shop Shark
Pulled of the right flex hose tonite and you can blow thru it. Ordered a couple of caliper kits and will put them in in a couple of days. Keep everyone informed.
Sharon

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop