The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (Jays58, AtomV, 8trackdude, Hookalatch, KEVINSKI, joe apple), 305 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,461
Posts929,712
Members42,641
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: miraclepieco] #1288438 Thu Nov 22 2018 05:20 PM
B
bluesman Offline
Shop Shark
I was having the same problem with my truck. I used a 1950 cab to replace the original (bad) 1953 cab, and I could not get the latches to work properly. After finding this post I went out to the shop and made the modification on one of the doors. Luckily I had enough of both types of striker plates to try one and still have a full set in case it didn't work.

It worked out well enough, although I'm going to do things a little differently for the second plate. But the door now opens and closes properly. Two things I found out while doing this:
1. Be sure to cut off enough of the new style plate that you have some up and down adjustment room. I didn't, and grinding down the back side of the plate after welding it together is a real chore.
2. Be sure to set the front edges of the plate in the correct position so there is room to move it in and out for aligning the door.

Now that I have one working I'm going to do the latch for the other door, then go back and modify the one I did first.

It sure would be nice if someone offered these for sale. There have to be quite a few people in this situation.

Tim

Last edited by bluesman; Thu Nov 22 2018 05:21 PM.

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: miraclepieco] #1288578 Sat Nov 24 2018 12:10 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Shop Shark
Today I got out to the shop and built the passenger side latch. It went much better, and worked out perfectly. Taking out more of the new style latch and using more of the old style gave me enough room for some adjustment. Now that I have one side working well I;m going to redo the drivers side. Lucky that I have enough ot both styles to work with.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: miraclepieco] #1288760 Sun Nov 25 2018 09:00 PM
B
bluesman Offline
Shop Shark
Went out today and redid the drivers side latch. Both doors work perfectly now, close tightly, open easily. Finding this fix was freat!

Tim

Tim
Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: bluesman] #1288767 Sun Nov 25 2018 10:03 PM
M
miraclepieco Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by bluesman
Went out today and redid the drivers side latch. Both doors work perfectly now, close tightly, open easily. Finding this fix was freat!

Tim

Thanks, glad it worked for you too!

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: miraclepieco] #1297869 Thu Feb 07 2019 02:12 AM
J
JackWagon86 Offline
New Guy
I’ve been doing a full body off on a 51 half ton for 6 years now...about 90% mechanically complete thanks to many of the threads found on this website...still have tons of body work to go though...I had been searching the web for about two years on an easy fix for these and did not want to get rid of my 52’ doors. 51’ cab is complete except for striker plates and this should get me on the road. It would be interesting to know if you guys just eyed balled it or what your measurements were on it...us milienials need all the help we can get...

Re: AD: Pushbutton doors on pulldown cab? [Re: miraclepieco] #1298682 Tue Feb 12 2019 07:35 PM
B
bluesman Offline
Shop Shark
When I did the strikers for my doors, I just lined up the old striker with the new striker and drew a line with a marker on the new one where I wanted the cut. After it was cut I lined it up with the old striker and drew a line on that, then cut the piece I was going to weld on a bit long. I kept one striker uncut to use as sort of a pattern, and carefully ground off the piece until it was the right length.

The two things I found out were that 1) cut as much as possible off the center of the new striker, and use as much as possible of the top and bottom of the old striker, so as to leave enough room for adjustment up and down. And 2) keep the face of the striker as flat as possible. The first time I tried, the top part ended up slightly tilted, which made it difficult to line up.

Also, I ended up trying to do as much of the welding on the front face, because I found out it was difficult to get in to grind off on the back side.

Good luck!

Tim

Tim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop