The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (66flea, AlanV, carbking, drdoug, Chooglin, 1 invisible), 318 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,474
Posts973,858
Members43,939
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AD spindles
#1287874 Sat Nov 17 2018 08:35 PM
S
Steve_H Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have one bad, wobbly spindle on a 52 1/2 ton Chevy truck. I found a cut up 54 frame and dragged it home(the price was t"ake it away"). At the time I only noticed it was a 1/2 ton and had a good third member(just what I had broken in my truck), So home it went. After I had used what I needed. I took some time to see what was still there. Why some one had cut the frame is a mystery. The frame was cut just aft of the E brake cross shaft. A 2 by 6 was put under the frame and over the torque tube and left that way. When I started to have issues with the new King pins(driver side got loose 30 days after I installed it) I started looking at fixes.Loctite, JB Weld and some others. The new bushings were loose in the spindle. And had kina oval shaped themselfes.
That spindle was bad. The fix for the spindle was gonna cost me money I did not have. So I went back to the frame I drug home. It is a 54 late? With a different cross member. The Bell housing mounts are angled. Not flat like the one in my truck. The front axle is in place, and, I wondered what if any thing was different. Removed the Spindles thinking this was the bits I would need. The driver side spindle was short. Why? I don't know. Trimmed off at the cotter key hole. So I had to find out if the left and right spindles were different. I looked hard for a Part Number, that did not go well. I tried E Bay, not much information, but you can buy one for about 150 dollars. Left? Right? That was not so easy. Cleaned them up and compared one to the other. Angles and mounting look the same to me. Getting the King Pins out was a bit of work. But the job was not that bad. So here is what I would like some help with: Are the Left/ Right spindles the same? I did use the "Search" function to see if there was a difference, only the mount bolt diameter(that does not scare me). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve H
Re: AD spindles
Steve_H #1287932 Sun Nov 18 2018 02:58 AM
Boltergeist
Steve, I wish I had the "sure" answer but I don't. However, you may want to check out the online manual, link in the tech section, and check out the parts book. I would think they are the same? The parts book should reveal the truth.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Steve_H #1287934 Sun Nov 18 2018 03:42 AM
ace skiver
I would have thought they are different (I do not remember where the "stops" are attached), but it looks like knuckles/spindles are the same left/right from 1951-1959?

forging code/number 3708831
part number 3709756

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0522.htm

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Steve_H #1288023 Mon Nov 19 2018 02:10 AM
Master Gabster
They are the same. The stop has a tapered bolt which goes through a straight through, non-tapered hole in the spindle so that the tapered stop bolt can go in from either side of the identical spindles.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop