The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
24 members (BC59, 5 Window 9434, 95Z28A4, clarsen3100, 2ManyTrucks, ApacheFiend), 284 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,476
Posts973,865
Members43,939
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: sealing wheel rivets??
Achipmunk #1286587 Thu Nov 08 2018 02:43 PM
L
Shop Shark
Alvin -

The article was in the December 6 2007 issue of Old Cars Weekly.

Not trying to start a war, just responding to your comment ... here is a similar article about running radial tires on bias ply rims.
https://www.sema.org/files/attachments/WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf

Lonnie

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
showkey #1286613 Thu Nov 08 2018 08:06 PM
F
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by showkey

That slipping issue can be related to the safety bead or lack of it when tubeless tires are mounted on tube rims. The rim Bead area is different and the tire beads are not the same. Yes.......in know many have done the switch with no problems.

I was using the wrong nomenclature. I should have said the inner flanges. Apply the POR to the area between the flanges.

Attached Files
tire bead.jpg (53.61 KB, 66 downloads)
Last edited by Fred T; Thu Nov 08 2018 08:09 PM.

Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Mike Burns #1287585 Thu Nov 15 2018 11:04 PM
S
Shop Shark
Original question has been lost due to safety concerns. Warning: Opinion! Yes, tires are different from the old ones. But, not too different. Truck wheels, and truck tires are stiffer and heavier than car wheels and car tires. The load issues with old wheels and radial tires will depend on the condition of the wheel. Nothing has changed about that. Old wheels with lots of deep pits, or cracks remain suspect. Air leaks around rivets? Well, that was not an issue with tube type tires. If you have wheels that are in good shape(no cracks, loose rivets, or dents) then consider sealing the rivets. Are you gonna use a truck tire? I have and no problems. I do look for issues(wheels are over 60 years old). But so far no issues. Sealing the rivets: This has worked for me, heat the wheel around the rivets(a heat gun or a hair dryer will do the job). Make the area warm, not so warm it burns you but nice and warm. Mix an epoxy glue as the package says and apply. I use a popscicle stik(kind of fun to get the popscikle for my efforts) The epoxy will melt and flow into the leaky spot just fine. Let it set and cool. Then paint, coat or whatever you choose. Disclaimer time: If the "Radial tire/old wheel" issue is a concern for you. Get some new replacement wheels. Vendors should be willing to tell you if their wheels meet the current DOT standards. The epoxy trick just helps "seal" the wheel against air leaks.If you want "car" tires, then use replacement wheels.Skinny 6 ply pizza cutter truck tires seem to be OK. So far at least. I would not put a "wide" performance tire on any way. That seems to me at the very least, to be asking for trouble.

Steve H
Mike Burns #1287612 Fri Nov 16 2018 02:09 AM
M
Shop Shark
My 1956 22.5" tubeless wheels are factory riveted with no sign of any sealer used and they don't leak. If you're worried, do like others have suggested and run a thick coat of paint or POR-15 over the rivets and call it done!

Mike B smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop