I've just been working on the Faux-patina lately, it's pretty slow going but I'm starting to sand everything to prep for clear coat. Getting closer. I did manage to score a good set of used 215/85/16 tires today and picked up my valve stems! That's a big thing checked off my list. Now I have the wheels painted, valve stems and tires so I should be able to put them together this weekend. I'll wait to put them on the truck until after I'm done painting though.
EDIT: Photos added. One thing I did notice while putting the tires on was since my wheels are older style they don't have a safety bead. When I aired up the tires they just filled up with no "pop" that comes when the bead blows past the safety bead. The first one was strange until I figured out what it was doing.
Made more progress over the weekend. I made a big decision to NOT clear coat the faux-patina like I was originally planning on doing and just do a cut and polish. The biggest reason was because I'm not completely sold on the idea of clear coat and I think it might reduce the number of interested buyers, and, the truck is so solid and straight that if the next owner wants to clean up the body a bit and paint it they don't have to sand off hard clear coat to do it.
This is one pass with cutting compound. It will need two or three cuts and a couple passes with polish. Also, I sanded the paint off of the front emblem then blocked the face with 150g sand paper. I think it turned out good.
Another weekend of progress... Tubeless tires are holding air so far and I like the size of the 215/85/16's. These photos are with the front half cut a couple times and back half sanded ready to be cut. I like both ways so if the next owner likes the dull look they can just let it fade.
My experience with Rustoleum which I mostly use, is it fades if in the sun, haven't tried waxing it to bring back the shine, yet.
Makes sense, most single-stage paints I've used fade without maintenance. I'm going to use it on the running boards mostly because it would be easier to touch up as they get scuffed, versus a two-stage with a hard clear coat. Hard to say which would be better.
A little more time spent on the faux-patina. I soften up the paint and scrub it off with a scratch pad then sand it lightly with 180g to take the edges off without making sanding marks. I'll wet sand it with 400g before putting on the clear and see what happens. I started painting the wheels also. I decided to use rattle can paint on the wheels so they can be touched up easier in the future. Went for the brighter red thinking that it will tone down a little bit once it gets a little use but they look pretty dang bright. With the hubcap on it's looking pretty good so I guess we'll see.
I love your build. If you're worried about how bright the rims are, I find whitewalls or beauty/trim rings on the rims help cut down the brightness of the paint.