The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 210 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,341
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Front Grease Seal Question
#12841 Mon Mar 08 2004 04:59 AM
L
LT Offline OP
I'm in the middle of a brake overhaul on my 55.2 (everything new, MC, WCs, brake lines, etc.)

I figured I'd upgrade the front wheel bearings to tapered rollers. I had a machine shop turn my brake drums and they pressed in the races for the new bearings.

Yesterday, I assembled the front brakes. I packed and put the inner bearing into the race, then pushed the new grease seal over the bearing inner race and into the hub. But it seemed loose. I took out the bearing and tried the fit of the seal into the hub. It just slipped right in.

I was expecting a tighter fit that would require tapping the grease seal into the hub. I still had the old grease seal, so I tried it in the hub and it also slid right in and seemed loose. By "loose" what I mean is that when the seal is in the hub, I can easily turn it .

Is this normal or should that grease seal fit tighter?

-LT

Re: Front Grease Seal Question
#12842 Mon Mar 08 2004 06:30 AM
B
Shop Shark
as long as it hits all the way around it should be fine (or so i say. . i am sure others may argue). The reason that they are not "tite" is because then they would just get hot and wear/melt out.

Brian K

Sometimes, David beats Goliath. Nobody talks, however, about how many little guys Goliath already beat into the ground. . .
#12843 Mon Mar 08 2004 07:36 AM
D
Shop Shark
I believe the outside Dia of the seal is supposed to be tight .
Depending on how loose it is , you might like to try some gasket goo to retain it , or re-source a new seal.

#12844 Mon Mar 08 2004 12:19 PM
H
Boltergeist
If it's a slip fit with little or no slop in the hole, use a little blue LocTite to secure it. It should be a pretty tight fit in the hub, and a smooth slip fit over the spindle. You will wear the hub if it's allowed to turn there. Don't use red LocTite, or it will be impossible to remove the next time without heating it!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
#12845 Mon Mar 08 2004 02:20 PM
R
rat Offline
I just did the same thing with new bearings and found the same thing. It fits nice around the middle or smaller section of the bearing but just butts up to the outer edge. I was thinking when it is pushed on the hub it will force it to stay pressed against the bearing. Anybody else have any experience with this? :confused:

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#12846 Mon Mar 08 2004 06:42 PM
L
LT Offline OP
Thanks for the help. The grease seal looks like it's designed to spin with the hub. If that's true, then it's got to be either tight enough where it mates to the hub, or something else has to hold it in place. There is another part that fits between the backing plate and the grease seal and bearing. But it looks like that part is not supposed to spin with the hub, and therefore, it can't push against the grease seal. That's the logic, anyway.

Maybe the hub has been worn on the inside surface where the seal mates to it.

I will take the suggestion to find another source for the grease seal on the chance that mine is a little undersized, and I'll get some the Loctite and try that.

We'll see that happens.
LT

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop