The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 registered members (DaveV, bartender, 3B, 3 invisible), 286 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,167
Posts936,294
Members42,798
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1245901 Wed Dec 06 2017 12:19 AM
M
Matt_Texas Offline
Shop Shark
Vinager works great. Just don't forget about it lol I cleaned up several old blades using vinager, ran out of room, stick one in a different spot. Week later it had eaten through 1/8 blades.

I have found over night is good then use a scruff pad if anything is left.

Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1247423 Tue Dec 19 2017 02:03 AM
D
Dan J from Colo Offline
New Guy
I used Vinegar to run through the cooling system on my model A and cleaned out a bunch of rust. I ran clear water through a couple times then filled with Antifreeze. It was good for that. I watched a ton of YouTube tests of vinegar, coca-cola, evapo-rust, and a couple others. I settled on evapo-rust. I got a 5 gallon bucket on Amazon for less than $80 delivered. It just works faster than everything else and can be reused. Molasses brushed on and covered with plastic wrap was a second choice and may work really good on large areas where soaking isn't an option due to size.

Dan J
Parker/Elizabeth Colorado
28 Ford Model Roadster (restored)
46 Chevy 1.5 Ton Grain Truck being converted to a Pickup Street Rod "square nuts" started Oct 2017
follow my blog of the 46 project at squarenuts.wordpress.com

Sailing:
"Una Mas" Nacra 5.8 https://youtu.be/LI1WLrrPQ2o
Windrider 16 trimaran
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1247798 Fri Dec 22 2017 12:40 PM
M
mick53 Offline
Shop Shark
look into electrolysis rust removal. Takes care of every nook and does no damage. Works great for me. All you need is a battery charger, some arm and hammer soda wash and a bucket. Youtube it.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1247808 Fri Dec 22 2017 03:30 PM
Y
yellosub54 Offline
Shop Shark
What about the cranny's? dang

"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1284005 Thu Oct 18 2018 01:55 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I had a chance to try EvapoRust and would recommend it for small parts that can be submerged. I was cleaning out my dad's shed down in SoCal a few weeks ago and wanted to derust a few tools. There was a rusty cake pan there too, so I used it to soak the tools in. Here's a pic of the pan (I didn't take any of the tools, mainly hacksaw blades). Notice the "beach marks" in the pan where the level of the EvapoRust was in comparison to the top edges of the pan. This was an overnight soak.

Attached Files
IMG_1068.JPG (103.19 KB, 126 downloads)

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1284016 Thu Oct 18 2018 03:51 AM
X
Xena Offline
Shop Shark
One method that worked well for me on the rear bumper on my 2000 Silverado was to use Diet Coke (no sugar to make things sticky) and wadded up aluminum foil dipped in it. I took the rust (mainly mild pitting) off quickly and the rust did not start reappearing for about 2 years.

I had treated and painted the back surface (the side facing forward) of the bumper as well at that time.

"It's time to kick the tires and light the fires"
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1284029 Thu Oct 18 2018 11:21 AM
D
dgrinnan Offline OP
Shop Shark
There is science at work. In addition to the acid in the Coke there is a chemical reaction between the aluminum and rust. Wadded up aluminum foil is great for buffing light surface rust. It addition to being a soft scrub surface that will not scratch the aluminum reacts with the rust to break it up.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1284048 Thu Oct 18 2018 05:03 PM
J
jfreakofkorn Offline
New Guy
i use vinegar on engine blocks with stuck rusted piston(s)

within a few day(s) they come out with little effort

Re: Vinegar rust removal [Re: dgrinnan] #1286611 Thu Nov 08 2018 07:42 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Another report on EvapoRust.
I picked up a cute little jug (8 oz) of their gel formula and tried it out on some surface rust. The problem was, I couldn't even squeeze it out of the jug and it just rolled around like a ball of snot, barely able to spread it on the panel. I sent a message to the company asking if it could be thinned with water and they replied that they had a batch that had too much gel in it. They sent me a replacement along with a can of their Rust Block spray (which I haven't tried yet) and some EvapoRust swag. I tried the replacement gel stuff and have to say that it's not working nearly as well as the liquid does.It does stick on vertical surfaces as they claim, and does remove rust, but would take multiple applications to get good results. A wire wheel is a lot quicker, although can't reach in some places that you could get the gel into.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop