The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
53 registered members (52Carl, 52 6400, 49nut, 42465967, 6 invisible), 532 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,726
Posts887,614
Members41,180
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281146
Sat Sep 22 2018 03:16 PM
Sat Sep 22 2018 03:16 PM
Justhorsenround  Offline OP
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Been a slow week with the ‘62. Between Doctors appointments and a couple days of heavy rain and waiting on parts nothing was done. Until today that is. Parts arrived Thursday and sat waiting on the rain to stop. In my last post I spoke of the woes with the internal wiring harness on the 700R4. There was none! PO had obviously removed the O/D option. Outside temp was 57 and a bit breezy but I knew I needed to get after it. Up the lift went and looking at the diagram I downloaded from Painless Wiring I figured out where everything went. 45 minutes later done and back on the ground. The test showed the harness and actuator working so all is back on track.
All the radiator hoses and heater hoses were checked a double checked for tight clamps. Poured one gallon of concentrated antifreeze in and looked for leaks. Small drip at the front of the radiator. Tightened the drain plug a 1/4 turn and the leak stopped. Started pouring in a gallon of straight water and heard a lot of liquid rushing out somewhere. The plug had been left out of the port between #6 and #8 on the head. Only lost a pint or so of coolant. Flotek says the plug is 3/8 NPT so I’ll have to make a trip to the FLAPS for a aluminum plug tomorrow.

P/S hose kit is here along with the cooler line kit for the transmission. So those projects are in the “next up” stage.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281196
Sun Sep 23 2018 12:37 AM
Sun Sep 23 2018 12:37 AM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
The temperature stayed reasonable all day so I went back out about 3pm and worked on the power steering hoses. Trimmed a bit of the inner fender away for clearance over the frame rail. The hose kit from Jegs fit perfectly with no modifications. Tightened up all the fittings and hose clamp on the return. Put the wheel/tire back on and torqued the lug nuts. Need to pick up fluid on my next trip to the parts store. 🛠

Martin

Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281329
Mon Sep 24 2018 01:13 PM
Mon Sep 24 2018 01:13 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Fall is here. Waking up to temps in the low 60s and more wet days than dry. Makes working outside a challenge. With an upcoming hip replacement surgery, my time to finish is getting squeezed pretty tight. November 27th is D-Day so its time to put things in high gear or resign myself to not finishing til next spring. Trip to the parts store this morning then if it drys up some I'll get a couple of things done later.

After a trip to the parts store I finished sealing up the fuel system. Installed the missing plug in the water jacket on the head. Filled the cooling system with a 50/50 antifreeze mix. Filled the crankcase with break-in oil. Filled the power steering pump and gear. That will be it for today. Other commitments tomorrow so I won’t get back to it til Wednesday, if it’s not raining.🛠

Last edited by Justhorsenround; Mon Sep 24 2018 05:44 PM. Reason: Added content

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281408
Tue Sep 25 2018 12:12 AM
Tue Sep 25 2018 12:12 AM
Achipmunk  Online
Extreme Gabster
Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Martin, seems your putting in more than 15 minutes a day.......way to go. All eyes on Martin.
....... I have got to get back to what I preach on my own project.....15 a day!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281610
Wed Sep 26 2018 10:56 PM
Wed Sep 26 2018 10:56 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Rain quit and driveway dried out this afternoon so I was able to put 30 minutes into it today. Measured and cut the steel braided hose for the transmission cooler lines. Put the AN fittings on the ends. Need to pick up some rubber cable clamps used to run electrical conduit. Commitments tomorrow will keep me busy most of the day so next work day will be Friday. 🛠

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1281740
Fri Sep 28 2018 03:01 PM
Fri Sep 28 2018 03:01 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Transmission cooler lines ran and hooked up. Used conduit clamps to hold the hose to the frame. Working with braided hose is a real hoot, not. Made a new bracket to hold the transmission dipstick to the bell housing. Filled the Transmission with fluid.

Next up on the project list is getting the starter and battery hooked up. Then wiring from the ign switch and alternator. Then figuring out the accelerator and cable mounting. At that point it will be ready to start and adjust. From that point it’s a short hop to the finish line.🛠

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1282373
Wed Oct 03 2018 03:00 PM
Wed Oct 03 2018 03:00 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
A small amount of wiring today. Installed both battery cables. Re-routed the alternator wiring and hooked up part of it. Ran wiring spaghetti on the modified harness just to neaten up the engine bay. Things have slowed while I wait on my Technical Assistant (son) to find time to come help. About 2 work days from being finished with all but the exhaust if I can just get my help here.🛠

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1282719
Sat Oct 06 2018 02:01 PM
Sat Oct 06 2018 02:01 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Worked a few minutes yesterday on modifying the existing accelerator assembly to work with the new Holley 750 double pumper carb. Removed the actuator arm from the bellcrank and ground a flat side opposite the original. Rotated the actuator arm 180 degrees and reinstalled it. Works perfectly. Now to fab up the cable from the bellcrank assembly to the carb. Rain for the next 4 days so I’m pretty much shut down.🛠

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1282939
Mon Oct 08 2018 04:31 PM
Mon Oct 08 2018 04:31 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
Rain let up for a bit this morning so I was able to get a couple of small things mostly wrapped up. Finished, with help from Ms Kathy, the bolts in the accelerator bellcrank assembly. Reread the Lokar shifter instructions. Fabbed up the shift linkage and installed/adjusted it. Made the finish cut on the fiberglass transmission tunnel and slipped it over the shifter and fit it in place on the floorboard.

Still have to install, adjust and wire the ignition neutral safety switch. Next project will be weighting down the transmission tunnel and drilling out the existing mounting holes from below along with the 2 holes to mount the accelerator pedal in its stock location. 🛠

Martin

Re: ‘62 C-10 Restomod build begins [Re: Justhorsenround] #1283228
Wed Oct 10 2018 09:49 PM
Wed Oct 10 2018 09:49 PM
Grease Monkey
Central, Oklahoma
A bit cool this morning so I hung out inside til 11am before going out to work on the ‘62 C-10. Put a 15 pound weight on the transmission tunnel and raised the truck up on the lift. I could only get to 4 of the 8 captured nuts with a drill from underneath. Drilled them with a small pilot bit. Lowered the truck and enlarged the 4 holes. Chased the threads with the proper tap and put in new bolts. Measured for the remaining 4 holes and held my breath while drilling them. Got reasonably lucky only having to modify 1 hole slightly. Chased the remaining holes with the tap and put new bolts in. The tunnel is also where the accelerator pedal mounts to. Drilled pilot holes from underneath but will wait to finish them because a bit of shimming is going to be required to take up a 1 inch gap between the new tunnel and the old floorboard. Not a major hurdle but I need the tunnel sealed to the floorboard and that job awaits my wiring guy (son) to wire up the neutral safety switch and the torque converter lockup. Done for today.🛠

Martin

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Hambone, sixtyfive c-10 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop