The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
47 registered members (52Carl, 49 3100, 52 6400, 49nut, 5 invisible), 546 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,726
Posts887,618
Members41,180
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A Look Inside A Linux Alternative... [Re: Jon G] #1283130
Wed Oct 10 2018 02:30 AM
Wed Oct 10 2018 02:30 AM
G
Gord&Fran  Offline
Shop Shark
Mill Bay, BC, Canada
Also, you don't need a BitTorrent client to download Linux. There are plenty of servers that allow anonymous access so you can download the iso file. These can be used for system updates too.

distrowatch is hepful: DistroWatch

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: A Look Inside A Linux Alternative... [Re: Jon G] #1283149
Wed Oct 10 2018 07:59 AM
Wed Oct 10 2018 07:59 AM
X
Xena  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Proud to be a Yankee
Thanks Jon, I will probably at some point will want to ask a question or two. I am quickly learning that the difference between Windows and Linux, or even Linux and Linux can be daunting it you let it, so my attitude at this point is: what the hell lets see what happens....

I already have the iso for Mint 19 64 bit and plan on looking at 32 bit alternatives for the laptops. While I was at a friends house today getting the mint ISO copy I ended up buying a HP Pavilloin HPE with Windows 10 Professional, MS Office 2010 suite installed,a 4 core Intel processor, 8GB of RAM, BLU -Ray / DVD burner, 2TB hard drive, 24" HDMI HD monitor , and wireless mouse and keyboard from her at the fire sale price of $250. I was so excited that I stopped and bought a Linksys Wi-Fi router for my satellite internet modem.

That probably explains why I am writing forum responses at almost 4 AM but its all set up and integrated into my home network......

Mint should run with joy on this one. I am doing a dual boot install but not until I get some sleep....lol

Gord thanks for your input as well. Based on your observations I am going to run the 32 bit install on the laptop and hope for some help from the Leprechauns

Last edited by Xena; Wed Oct 10 2018 08:02 AM.

"It's time to kick the tires and light the fires"
Re: A Look Inside A Linux Alternative... [Re: Jon G] #1283156
Wed Oct 10 2018 11:56 AM
Wed Oct 10 2018 11:56 AM
J
Jon G  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dallas, TX
That's a great deal on the HP Pavillion, Xena. The best I have is an older Intel dual core, but for what I do it is ok. Any operating system should run fine on the HP. Please let me know what you find and how Mint works for you.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: A Look Inside A Linux Alternative... [Re: Jon G] #1283201
Wed Oct 10 2018 06:00 PM
Wed Oct 10 2018 06:00 PM
G
Gord&Fran  Offline
Shop Shark
Mill Bay, BC, Canada
Just for fun, I installed Manjaro on the old Acer. I'm impressed how well it works on that thing. Pretty complete distro. However, I will stick with Mint as there is a lot of support for it. You want to get any security patches ASAP.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: A Look Inside A Linux Alternative... [Re: Jon G] #1283862
Tue Oct 16 2018 10:49 PM
Tue Oct 16 2018 10:49 PM
X
Xena  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Proud to be a Yankee
I am currently wading through the prep work before the install. The pieces seem to be coming together, but other pieces keep showiing up. I did just download Rufus 3.3 which is a program designed to make a bootable rescue usb drive to be used in the event of an unexpected software meltdown that makes the OS unavailable. I also have purchased a digital (Kindle) copy of Microsofts "Inside Windows 10" which includes free downloadable updated supplements as W10 evolves. The WiFi network is now set up and humming along just fine; I was surprised at how easy it was; all of my now 5 PCs are talking to each other, the internet and my 2 home theater systems.

Once I have theW10 rescue disc done and clone the Windows system drive, the only thing left is to burn the Mint ISO onto a DVD. I think. Maybe not....

The question I have Gord, as you were the one to mention it, is whether I should postpone the install until I am fully aware of the scope the vulnerabilities of the system before the updates are installed. And then of course, I have to figure out how to install them....entertainment at it's best!

Any input you would care to share would be most welcome and appreciated. Jon, if you are reading this, any input from you would also be just as welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Xena

Last edited by Xena; Tue Oct 16 2018 10:53 PM.

"It's time to kick the tires and light the fires"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tiny, Volfandt 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop