The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
56 registered members (52 6400, 49nut, 55 SHAKER, 42465967, 7 invisible), 537 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,726
Posts887,612
Members41,180
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? #1282877
Mon Oct 08 2018 01:23 AM
Mon Oct 08 2018 01:23 AM
L
Lugnutz  Offline OP
Shop Shark
South Carolina
I need one more safety stand for my lift. I own one but I need another one.
I was given some old boat stands, so I have the parts to make another one. The screw portion is not as long as my Matco stand, but I think I it will be long enough.
To fabricate one from some old boat stand parts will take a little bit of time, but I will get to practice my welding. I might even try TIG.
These stands serve as supports to prevent the vehicle from rocking on the lift arms (when installing or removing a transmission, or when using a pry bar etc.)

Am I crazy to fabricate my own? Any design ideas for the base? The screw basically slides inside the pipe and rests on the wing nut.
Here's a LINK for pics.

Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Lugnutz] #1282878
Mon Oct 08 2018 01:49 AM
Mon Oct 08 2018 01:49 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Online
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
Use the complete boat stands, but get the pipe vertical and reduce the triangular footprint so you don't take up so much room under your lift. You'll need to extend the short leg enough to make the pipe stand straight up, then fabricate new braces to stabilize the triangle. Make the footprint about half what it is now, and use a carpenter's 4 foot level to make sure the pipe stays vertical while you're tacking up braces. I think Denny Graham posted some pics of similar stands he made, with folding legs for storage.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1282928
Mon Oct 08 2018 02:13 PM
Mon Oct 08 2018 02:13 PM
G
Grigg  Online
Master Gabster
Lexington, VA
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
...Denny Graham posted some pics of similar stands he made, with folding legs for storage.
Jerry

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...3289/under-lift-stands-that-fold-up.html

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Lugnutz] #1283645
Mon Oct 15 2018 02:20 AM
Mon Oct 15 2018 02:20 AM
L
Lugnutz  Offline OP
Shop Shark
South Carolina
I've finished this project.

Safety Stand - ALL the pictures.

Paint is drying. Still needs a rubber pad on top.

It's not as nice as the stands Denny Graham made, but I didn't want to make him feel bad. LOL!

I butt welded 2 pipes together. The screw is not as long as my Matco stand, so the pipe had to be taller. An old release bearing makes a perfect bearing to position beneath the wingnut.

I made a novice welding mistake. When making the base, I got the round plate too hot when welding and it warped. So the base plate was warped.
To fix this, I made a relief cut. That cured the problem and then I took my time welding the relief cut closed.

I figured this project would give me a chance to practice TIG welding. I did OK when I tried to TIG the pipe - end to end. That's because it was an OUTSIDE surface weld. I tried to TIG some inside corners but that did not go well at all. That was cut apart and then MIG welded - which looked much nicer. I'll need to practice TIG some more.

Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Lugnutz] #1283768
Tue Oct 16 2018 01:23 AM
Tue Oct 16 2018 01:23 AM
52Carl  Offline
Master Gabster
Virginia
For welding inside corners with TIG you can cheat by extending the tungsten out further so that you have it closer to the weld without the ceramic getting in the way.
A good way to setup for these situations is by going through the motions of the weld in a dry run without stepping on the pedal. Make sure you can keep the tip of the tungsten close to the metal without the ceramic making contact. Then you are ready to go. Don't worry about the argon shield going away unless its windy or because you have a fan blowing because you live where it is as hot as Mississippi.
Carl

Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Lugnutz] #1283804
Tue Oct 16 2018 12:29 PM
Tue Oct 16 2018 12:29 PM
L
Lugnutz  Offline OP
Shop Shark
South Carolina
Carl,
Thanks. I need to stand next to someone who can TIG, and watch over their shoulder. I also need to practice. I’ll keep at it.

Re: BUY ONE or MAKE ONE? [Re: Lugnutz] #1283839
Tue Oct 16 2018 05:46 PM
Tue Oct 16 2018 05:46 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Online
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
One kind of welding that's virtually never done (or taught) any more is OAW (Oxy-acetyline welding) Most people call it "brazing" but back in the dark ages when I learned, we actually fused steel with a torch and a bare steel fill rod, without using brass or bronze as a filler metal. Once you can make smooth full-penetration welds with an acetyline torch, doing it with TIG comes second nature, because the process is almost the same. The only difference is that you're using an argon-shielded arc instead of a flame to create the puddle.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop