The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (KevinW, glenns towing, Green_98, Jerry M., 1953 panel, 2and4wheels, 1 invisible), 192 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,926
Posts960,480
Members43,518
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
SBC T5 in a 47?
#1282119 Mon Oct 01 2018 06:47 PM
J
Shop Shark
Hi Folks, Finally got my 47 GMC home. Woohoo. Now the work/fun begins in earnest. I'm puttin in a stock 350 currently sitting on a stand ready to go, and a freshly scored T5 out of a 92 S-10. I've read everything I could find, especially from Lugnutz, and that seems to be the combo. Since I'm starting from scratch, I have options on the best way to go from here. Kinda feels like having a kid. You know exactly what you're gonna do until it gets home, then all bets are off. Basically I have no idea from here. I don't have a clutch/bellhousing etc. I really want to keep the stock pedals! I'm also not planning on changing the suspension or steering geometry, but am open to ideas.

So here's my questions:
Should I go with a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? I have no components for either besides the pedal and what holds it to the frame. Does someone make a kit for a hydraulic clutch for the AD trucks?
What is this "adapter plate" that I've read about? I really dread the idea of changing the input shaft of the trans. I pretty much know I'll drop transmission parts all over the floor and accidentally kick them to parts unknown.
Is there a range of bellhousings I can use with said adapter plate? (I need to get all these things and a 14 spline clutch assembly)
My first plan was actually to go thru the entire brake system replacing all the lines etc. and adding in a dual master cylinder in stock location. Can I go ahead with this or will I run into fitment problems that force me to "hang" pedals?
What myriad of other things have I not yet considered?

Attached Files
1226xx.jpg (75.96 KB, 527 downloads)
Last edited by Just Mark; Mon Oct 01 2018 06:49 PM.
Re: SBC T5 in a 47?
Just Mark #1282186 Tue Oct 02 2018 02:22 AM
L
Shop Shark
Just Mark,
The 350 engine should work well with a cast iron bell housing. I have several that keep accumulating in my shop. The clutch fork opening is on the driver's side.
I have been happy with the mechanical clutch linkage in my 1965. I have no idea how easy your frame mounted clutch linkage will work with the 350 and bell.

Unless your T5 has seen low mileage and tender care, I highly recommend that you open it up and clean it. Then change the input shaft to a 10 spline Jeep shaft with a new input shaft bearing. Then get the end play set to zero. I am self taught and did not find my first attempt to be difficult. YOU CAN DO IT. Especially since I can help every step of the way.

The cost of an adapter plate plus the 14 spline clutch package will cost almost 3 times the cost of a Jeep input shaft swap. That's just my vote.

As for the braking system, I'll bet 52Carl knows the answers. I think he's done this once with a T5.

Jay

Just Mark #1282233 Tue Oct 02 2018 01:02 PM
J
Shop Shark
Thanks Jay. I'm considering the jeep input shaft. I did read through your complete description of the process. Sometimes these projects are overly intimidating at first, but aren't so bad once you're into it. It still seems overly intimidating at this point. Are you interested in parting with one of those bell housings? The internals of a transmission are a world of mystery to me. When you say "clean it", I'm picturing opening a side cover (which this doesn't seem to have) and spray some brakeclean type of chemical, button it back up and hope for the best. I'm assuming you have a better process for that?

Last edited by Just Mark; Tue Oct 02 2018 01:35 PM.
Just Mark #1282235 Tue Oct 02 2018 01:09 PM
J
Shop Shark

Last edited by Just Mark; Tue Oct 02 2018 01:23 PM.
Just Mark #1282243 Tue Oct 02 2018 02:28 PM
L
Shop Shark
That is the correct Jeep shaft. That vendor includes the bearing and race, so less hassle for you.
It’s very easy to open, clean and inspect a T5. You will need some basic tools like socket wrenches, ball pien hammer, a drift for the roll pin and brake clean and some rags. Sealing it up is pretty easy but an extra set of hands is a plus. I can make a short video if you want.
When you open to clean and inspect is the PERFECT time to do the shaft swap. Your 1992 T5 should be non-world class.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Tue Oct 02 2018 02:30 PM.
Just Mark #1282286 Tue Oct 02 2018 11:17 PM
J
Shop Shark
Well, looks like you have another T5 apprentice on your hands. I ordered the shaft and bearing kit. If the parts come in by Tues am, I'll do it Tues.
(Leaving for Hershey Wed am)

Do I need a new gasket for the trans cover?

Just Mark #1282330 Wed Oct 03 2018 03:18 AM
L
Shop Shark
Supply list:
Permatex Ultra Black RTV
Green Scotch Pad
Bearing grease or Vaseline
Clean rags
Brake Cleaner
Wire brush
Socket set with extensions with 10mm, 13mm and 15mm sockets.
A drift and hammer to drive out a roll pin.
A shop press to install the new bearing onto the Jeep input shaft. If you don't have one, I bet your local transmission shop will do it for you.

New seals for the tail housing and input shaft bearing retainer are a good idea.
The shims you will find next to the front bearing race (inside the input shaft bearing retainer) will likely be all you need - just reuse them.

Here's a link to my DIY rebuild of a T5. You will not tear down the main gear train, or remove the countershaft. So don't get overwhelmed. The reverse/5th gear shifter fork will probably not need to be removed either.

I've sent you my email so we can share pictures to help with details.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Wed Oct 03 2018 03:21 AM.
Just Mark #1282353 Wed Oct 03 2018 11:24 AM
J
Shop Shark
Awesome. I'm actually looking forward to this! (I still reserve the right to dump transmission doodads on the floor and accidentally kick some to parts unknown)

Just Mark #1282356 Wed Oct 03 2018 11:35 AM
L
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Just Mark
Awesome. I'm actually looking forward to this! (I still reserve the right to dump transmission doodads on the floor and accidentally kick some to parts unknown)

That’s ok. I have several boxes of extra parts.

Just Mark #1282467 Thu Oct 04 2018 02:41 AM
S
Wrench Fetcher
where abouts in mi are you im in sears about 35 miles north of mt pleasnt

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop