The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 registered members (DJMTruck, 52Carl, Drew54, carbking, ESum, Eckroll, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,514
Posts926,858
Members42,461
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Old cam new lifters? #1281376 Mon Sep 24 2018 08:52 PM
O
ol' 55 Offline OP
Shop Shark
My 6 cyl. has a couple of hydraulic lifters that will not stay up while pushing down on the respective pushrods. This engine has about 60,000 miles on it. Hotrod L. could I just replace the 2 old ones with 2 new lifters. Sounds a little risky to me. I don't even see how the engine even runs as good as it does with this here issue? Yeah with the engine off valve cover off I can push down on # 3 pushrod and # 5 pushrod, all the others don't even move. Maybe its not in the lifters I don't know?

Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281432 Tue Sep 25 2018 01:53 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Yes, you can replace a couple of lifters pretty safely. Just do the 20 minute run-in at fast idle like you would do with a new cam/lifter installation. Stovebolt lifters seem to have a chronic problem with being unable to purge air out of the lifters, so you might also try putting a shallow groove in the ball-shaped bottom of the pushrod with a Dremel tool. I think there's a tech tip on that somewhere on the website. It's also possible to remove the lifters that are giving problems, take them apart, and do a thorough cleanup with spray carb cleaner and reinstall them. Just don't try to intermix parts- - - -dismantle and clean one lifter at a time.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281503 Tue Sep 25 2018 08:15 PM
O
ol' 55 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I'll give that a try, I just don't understand why the engine runs so dam good.You see, I posted an earlier thread about a pinging noise which I am still trying to find and found this here little problem. I'm about to try your little hot water in a 1 qt. wiskey bottle and dribble it in there. Thanks.....

Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281515 Tue Sep 25 2018 10:10 PM
P
panic Offline
Shop Shark
Your oil pressure at the gallery may be borderline - enough to properly inflate those tappets at the power test time, but not enough to keep them up when the pressure drops at reduced RPM.

Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281534 Wed Sep 26 2018 01:18 AM
P
Pre '68 Dave Offline
Shop Shark

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281601 Wed Sep 26 2018 09:30 PM
G
GeneBrink Offline
New Guy
Originally Posted by ol' 55
I'll give that a try, I just don't understand why the engine runs so dam good.You see, I posted an earlier thread about a pinging noise which I am still trying to find and found this here little problem. I'm about to try your little hot water in a 1 qt. wiskey bottle and dribble it in there. Thanks.....

While your lifters may leak down when manually depressing they may be perfectly fine when operating in a running engine because they don't have to provide resistance to leak-down for an appreciable length of time to adequately open your valve and can pump up again before the next valve opening assuming you have good oil pressure. Id say if the wear pattern on both lifter and cam is good and the engine is quiet don't worry but would ask if you are pretty certain the pinging you hear is not actually a push rod (or two) rattling? Good luck in your problem solving...

Re: Old cam new lifters? [Re: ol' 55] #1281664 Thu Sep 27 2018 03:58 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Being able to collapse a lifter with just finger pressure on the rocker arm is NOT normal. Either clean and reassemble, or replace any lifter in that condition. While it's possible to make a lifter bleed down with a heavy, constant pressure against it, like with a pry bar, it should not be able to be compressed easily.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop