The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (cdandelivery, dougs, Dasher, 68ironhead, harv, 1 invisible), 260 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,535
Posts974,373
Members43,959
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My First try at block sanding
#128105 Wed Sep 12 2007 06:23 PM
M
Shop Shark
Hello, I hope all is well with you all.

I am about to start my first round of block sanding. I have ordered an 11" and a 16" Dura BLOCK and was not real sure what kind of sand paper to start with. Do I order a roll of paper for the 16" block and if so what grit should I start with? Do you guys that have some solid experience have a brand of paper you would suggest I try?

Jesus is Lord!
Only through the blood of Jesus are you washed clean of your sins.
Come see us... Dad's Chevy
Our Video
God bless you! Michael..
Re: My First try at block sanding
#128106 Thu Sep 13 2007 01:11 AM
J
Shop Shark
I am a driveway body man so look for more input before you go with my method. That said, at the blocking stage I use 320 to start with which will knocked down most of the the peaks. Then spray more primer and sand with 320 until the low spots are gone. Then moved to 400 then up to 600. I would use the 16" on large panels and 11" for smaller panels. As far as brand, I don't know, but I would go with a wet/dry paper. Wet sanding cleans the paper and last longer.

Good luck.

#128107 Thu Sep 13 2007 04:24 AM
G
i use 180 dry on a roll on the first prime then go to 320 wet on the 2nd a coat of sealer and paint will cover 320 scratches just fine I use Mirca sand paper it lastes longer than 3m and cost less. i would also recommend the 6 piece dura block set it helps with the details

#128108 Thu Sep 20 2007 03:41 PM
A
You can also do a light mist with a rattle can the area to be sanded with a highlighted colour this will show up any low spots when you block sand..

#128109 Thu Sep 20 2007 07:26 PM
C
Shop Shark
Originally posted by ALBERT:
You can also do a light mist with a rattle can the area to be sanded with a highlighted colour this will show up any low spots when you block sand..
I was doing that and found it to clog the paper quickly and I had to wait before sanding. Then I learned about "3M dri-guide coat" which is basically like copier toner that you smear on with a sponge applicator. It showed exactly where to sand and where it was perfect. Never again will I block without using it.

Curt B.

1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod

Photobucket

You Tube

#128110 Sat Sep 22 2007 08:36 AM
C
Shop Shark
If you have a spray gun setup, I have the 3M PSS system, I mix some black lacquer primer and keep it in a spray cup. I mist this on my grey primer as a guide coat. It's cheap, it dries really fast, it doesn't clog the sand paper and it's handy.

Block with 360 wet or dry, either way. Once you have the surface RIGHT, block with 400 wet. All you will be doing with the 400 is removing the 360 scratches.

Wash with Dawn dish washing liquid and rinse. Blow all the water off and dry with clean towels.

Wipe area off with Rubbing Alcohol followed quickly with clean dry cotton rags.

Tack surface with tack rags you opened the day before. Apply one coat of Epoxy Sealer and let cure.

Tack rag again and apply base coat.

Keep it simple.

Frank

Tack

No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop