The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (49nut, buoymaker, buckaroo01, Bogart's Truck, 631Riccardo, 2 invisible), 258 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,445
Posts973,670
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ammeter Testing
#1280145 Fri Sep 14 2018 12:00 AM
E
Shop Shark
OK, just when I think I'm getting a handle on all things electrical I run head first into something that doesn't work even though I think it should. I have 3 extra ammeter gauges in my pile of old parts and I'd like to use one of them in Speedy, my '48 GMC, where I'm replacing the modern gauge cluster with an original style one. I've managed to Frankenstein a cluster together, refacing the gauges as I go, but before I reface and install the ammeter I want to make sure that it works . I thought I would enlist the help of my '48 Chevy truck, Pokey, by carefully attaching jumper wires from his working ammeter to the terminals on the ammeters I want to test. I do,but nothing happens on the gauge I'm try to test though the gauge in the dash works fine. Is this a method that should work to test the gauge or is it completely stupid? Wouldn't be the first time for me! Thanks, Jim

Re: Ammeter Testing
Eureka Jim #1280155 Fri Sep 14 2018 01:24 AM
H
Boltergeist
Easy- - - -just connect two fairly large wires, #12 of bigger to the ammeter and use it to power something like a headlight, a heater motor, or some other device that will draw enough current to see the needle deflect. Reversing the direction of flow through the wires will make the needle deflect toward the + or - direction. When current flow stops the needle should return to center. You are aware that dash mounted ammeters are about as accurate and trustworthy as political promises, aren't you?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Eureka Jim #1280156 Fri Sep 14 2018 01:32 AM
D
Wrench Fetcher
spot on jerry, as all ways . i run all my power threw my amp meter , so i can see all draw threw the hole system

Eureka Jim #1280163 Fri Sep 14 2018 02:05 AM
E
Shop Shark
Jerry, I don't care about the numbers on the ammeter, just charge or discharge is all I'd like. I can test the gauge the way you mention, I'm just wondering why my jumper wire method didn't work. I guess the redundant gauge doesn't get any current flowing through it. And I do apply a heavy discount to political promises.

Jim

Eureka Jim #1280167 Fri Sep 14 2018 02:29 AM
H
Boltergeist
You were running a parallel circuit- - - - -the original ammeter had a better connection, probably one with lower resistance, so virtually all the current followed that path. Basic Ohm's Law! You would have to put both ammeters in series with each other for your test method to work.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1280168 Fri Sep 14 2018 02:54 AM
E
Shop Shark
Thanks Jerry!

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop