The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (crenwelge, homer52, coilover, Joe Alan, TPR57C), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,469
Posts965,629
Members43,681
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks for the Add
#1276571 Thu Aug 16 2018 08:05 PM
D
drdoug Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just joined... located 30 miles north of Dallas. Although I don't have a truck currently, I do have a '53 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, with a '54 235. The current project is a 261 short block that is slated for the Bel Air.

I've worked on International and Chevy in-lines since 1966 near as I can recall. Originally from upstate NY, I spent most of my working years in the north-east, and relocated to the Dallas area 7 years ago. I don't miss the weather, and especially the winter salt-covered roads!. Working on vehicles that spent their years here in TX is a dream compared to what I used to have to deal with. Yes, Kroil and PB Blaster are my friends!

I'm presently semi-retired, and I do occasional consulting gigs that keep my auto hobby "fed."

Re: Thanks for the Add
drdoug #1276636 Fri Aug 17 2018 04:16 AM
Boltergeist
Welcome to the Stovebolt drdoug. Congrats on the Bel Air and happy hunting on a picking up truck!
Lots of knowledge and great folks here. Watch for other members of the "Texas Connection".

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
drdoug #1276667 Fri Aug 17 2018 02:11 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I like that body style of the Chevy cars. Prefer the no-post version or convertibles. A word to the wise, while the 235 is definately a stovebolt your BelAir does not fit the site guidelines. If you do have questions about your 235 post away just don't mention it's in a car. Some of us are just touchy that way. Welcome to the Stovebolt madness and good luck on your search for a truck.
shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

drdoug #1276693 Fri Aug 17 2018 08:22 PM
ace skiver
We heartily welcome you and your stovebolt engines, drdoug

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
drdoug #1276702 Fri Aug 17 2018 09:06 PM
J
Shop Shark
Welcome Doc, lot's of good info shared here. Hopefully, you'll some of your insight as well.

BTW: I've seen a few of those Bel Aire's that I would like to have in my stable.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

drdoug #1276752 Sat Aug 18 2018 04:31 AM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
welcome to the site! Love that body style!!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
J Lucas #1294662 Sun Jan 13 2019 02:56 AM
D
drdoug Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
Welcome to the Stovebolt drdoug. Congrats on the Bel Air and happy hunting on a picking up truck!
Lots of knowledge and great folks here. Watch for other members of the "Texas Connection".

Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
I like that body style of the Chevy cars. Prefer the no-post version or convertibles. A word to the wise, while the 235 is definately a stovebolt your BelAir does not fit the site guidelines. If you do have questions about your 235 post away just don't mention it's in a car. Some of us are just touchy that way. Welcome to the Stovebolt madness and good luck on your search for a truck.
shake

Originally Posted by tclederman
We heartily welcome you and your stovebolt engines, drdoug

Originally Posted by J Lucas
Welcome Doc, lot's of good info shared here. Hopefully, you'll some of your insight as well.

BTW: I've seen a few of those Bel Aire's that I would like to have in my stable.

John

Thanks, guys. Apologies for the belated thank you... just sort of learning this forum's ins and outs, and it's pretty different than some other forums I frequent. I understand the sensitivity of non-truck posts, and will keep that in mind. There are just so many same/similar parts that it makes sense for me to participate.

Thanks again.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Doug

drdoug #1294955 Tue Jan 15 2019 01:15 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Hi Doug -- Let me pile onto the welcoming committee and add my welcome to our forum!

You raise a good point which gives me yet another opportunity to preach -- There *is* a lot of cross-over with the cars -- especially with the drivetrains, etc. And there's a lot of benefit to be had from that cross-pollination. So no one is going to run anyone out just because they have a car, not a truck. We just want to maintain our focus. We are a Truck site. We'll always be glad to share what we know with (and learn from ...) non-truck users of our site without drawing any territorial lines. We're all here to learn and to share what we learn with others (some of us do more learning ... smile ).

I hope this site is different. Many have worked very hard to make it so. We have few rules and they only serve to maintain the focus -- family friendly knowledge sharing about these old trucks. Disagreements and attitudes are handled as between family -- respectful disagreement is welcomed as it challenges us to do our homework. If we all thought, acted and spoke in unison, it would be as scary a place as if we were constantly bickering and fighting each other over stupid stuff.

Hence, we endeavor to keep our disagreements agreeable, our call outs friendly and respectful -- a well-presented point of view should be respected and considered even if you don't agree with it. Some of our participants here are still working on that ... smile ... but we are all works in progress and if one can look past the occasionally harsh tone, one can often find a treasure trove of knowledge (and the staff will deal with the overly harsh tone).

So have no fear asking "dumb" questions (ADM Rickover once said that we are all dumb ... except for him, of course wink ), or that the question might have possibly been asked before (like in 2002 and in an obscure way that would be impossible to find with Search even if you knew what to ask for ,...). So go ahead and ask. It won't kill anyone to answer it again. Might even give a newer user an opportunity to try sharing knowledge.

Oh, speaking of the Search Engine .... some of the people who complain about repeated questions slowing down the search engine are probably the same ones who post windy discussions about trivial matters in the off topic discussion area (The Greasy Spoon ... smile Just sayin' ... [elvis] Yes, I see you there .... nanner

We're not perfect. And playing with old trucks is NOT the most important thing we do in life (far from it) But to paraphrase someone waaaaaay wiser than I --- We do not consider ourselves yet to have laid hold of perfecting an old truck discussion forum. But this one thing we do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, we press on toward the goal ... (and there are several, but chief among them is to take care of each other -- people, not trucks, are what is truly important...). I encourage all users (new and old) to embrace this point of view. And if you think differently about some issue, great! We will respect that and we keep sharing knowledge as friends and keep these trucks rolling and making ourselves smarter.

Happy Tuesday! Carry on!

John

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

drdoug #1295084 Wed Jan 16 2019 05:21 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the 'bolt. Thinly disguise your car related questions for the crossover portions.

Please scroll through the various forums to see what they have to offer.

Make sure to check out the rules of the page as well.

Questions pertaining to your problem are welcome and will usually get answered quickly.

There are many "how I done it's" here as well that can be found using the search feature.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop