The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (52Carl, 2ManyTrucks, 55 SHAKER, ESum, 69Cuda, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 193 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,150
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: primed fender?
bartamos #1275754 Fri Aug 10 2018 10:48 PM
ace skiver
Originally Posted by bartamos
99.9% of the time a coat of epoxy primer will seal anything and protect the rest of the paint job. That does leaves 0.1% possibility that it won't. "You gotta ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky?, well do you, punk?"

I have gotten lost in trying to follow this discussion.

Epoxy primer is an excellent first/sealing coat over clean/bare/"washed" metal.

Is epoxy primer the question, or is EDP the question?

Remove the EDP and then epoxy prime.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
bluesman #1275758 Fri Aug 10 2018 11:02 PM
H
Boltergeist
Since the sheet metal we're dealing with is either 60-something years old, or new stuff that comes from unknown places and might have whatever "paint" that might be handy at the time on it, Applying more primer and/or finish paint over that unknown layer on top of the metal underneath means exhibiting a degree of faith in the bond it has to the metal underneath is a risk I was never willing to take. "Your mileage may vary!"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
bluesman #1275773 Sat Aug 11 2018 01:23 AM
B
General Purpose
The discussion is to answer Bluesman's question about unknown coatings on parts he bought. Some are odd looking, not black. I mentioned Ecoat/EDP to him. Epoxy has been mentioned by several of us. This discussion naturally has to include EDP and a suggested primers/methods in order to fill-in the poster. Not meant to confuse.

Many so called experts do epoxy over edp. Many owners say their new parts were edp and then epoxy and then the usual paint job, After many years it's still OK. Painting, and all that goes with it, has a 100 opinions and products. Just saying that roughing the edp and priming with epoxy has history. Epoxy can work over anything. Not known to react. If it's roughed sanded and cleaned, it seals. It's EPOXY!

Eastwood website quote: "Existing Finishes: Epoxy primer is perfect for paint jobs over existing lacquer or enamel finishes. The epoxy primer will create a barrier to keep topcoats from reacting to your old paint. Sand existing finish with 180 - 440 Grit and shoot 2-3 coats of epoxy to seal away the old finish.

"Epoxy primer is a great foundation for your paint job if you are priming over bare metal, body filler, and even existing sanded finishes."

The 1% I mentioned, as a guess, is for possible off shore Micky Mouse "Primer/EDP look-a-like". But epoxy will probably seal that too. IF prepared correctly.
We all agree that bare metal is safe. So DA away if you want to.

EDP is better than any primer for adhesion to bare, if correctly done. New autos are all done with it. It is electrodeposited. Cross between a primer and a plating. Super good. If its real, it does NOT need removed. What we are warning about is that it may not be real. If it's hard to get off with a DA and doesn't flake, it's real.

I have always wanted to ask Bluesman why he didn't ask the vendor, that told him it's OK, what the coating is and from what country. Also tell us where he bought each piece.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

bluesman #1275826 Sat Aug 11 2018 01:44 PM
C
Shop Shark
I once stripped off the edp of a fender and found a finger print of rust forming under it..
I felt like a lucky punk that day I tell ya.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
CASO #1275861 Sat Aug 11 2018 05:47 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by CASO
I once stripped off the edp of a fender and found a finger print of rust forming under it..
I felt like a lucky punk that day I tell ya.

Maybe you could send a photo of that finger print to China and get the guy fired for shoddy workmanship. wink

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop