The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (49nut, Mather, festerhairball, 2ManyTrucks, 2 invisible), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,771
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Paintless Dent Repair"
#1273917 Thu Jul 26 2018 11:33 PM
H
'Bolter
Has anyone tried one of the 'dent lifter" kits on the market, the ones that involve using a hot glue gun to stick a stud onto a painted surface and lift a ding without any surface prep and repainting? The kits look like sucker bait, and I believe I could home-brew something very similar and accomplish the same end result if the procedure actually works.
Thanks in advance for any comments!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: "Paintless Dent Repair"
Hotrod Lincoln #1273921 Fri Jul 27 2018 12:24 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Personal experience, it can work. Certain types of paint are subject to lifting thus a repaint is necessary.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Hotrod Lincoln #1273951 Fri Jul 27 2018 03:41 AM
'Bolter
Depending on the dent....I have used the hand held gizmo's glass installers use. I've popped many dents out with one over the years. (yeah, some I couldn't get out)

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Hotrod Lincoln #1273957 Fri Jul 27 2018 08:50 AM
T
'Bolter
it will work on a "gentle" dent with no metal stretching or creasing - it doesn't work miracles. its worth a try

Hotrod Lincoln #1273960 Fri Jul 27 2018 11:10 AM
M
'Bolter
Not answering the subject question and of course not knowing the dent's location, this may be useless info, but I've had good luck popping door and some fender dents using inflatable items. Soccer balls or kids basket balls. If there's sufficient structure behind the dent to back the inflatable it can work great. Several kits on the market as well with pneumatic bladders.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Hotrod Lincoln #1273988 Fri Jul 27 2018 02:18 PM
H
'Bolter
When I ran a high school body shop we used that procedure pretty effectively. Once the ball is inflated a little, tapping around the perimeter of the dent with a flat hammer helps eliminate creases. Some of the videos I've watched concerning the "paintless" process employ the same technique, using a rawhide mallet or a rubber hammer. A text on metal bumping I taught from frequently was written in the mid-1930's, and included lots of techniques for metal finishing that minimized the need to use lead for final finishing. Bondo was still a couple of decades in the future when that book was written.
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #1274060 Fri Jul 27 2018 11:48 PM
'Bolter
I watched a traveling paintless dent remover guy push out many hail storm dents on a truck roof while the rest of us were dove hunting. He had long handled tools with bends near the end and were tipped with what looked like a ball bearing. Super polished.
After he had most of the dent pushed out, he said, "Hold my beer, you're going to like this part." He then pulled out a body hammer with a mirror-finish face and proceeded to lightly hammer on the paint while continuing to push out with tool. It did not harm the paint whatsoever. When he was done, you could not see any dents nor paint damage.

Hotrod Lincoln #1275048 Sat Aug 04 2018 04:47 PM
D
Shop Shark
PDR works great on the new stuff not to surer on old iron. Repainted vehicles can be tricky as the paint may crack.

The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby [stovebolt.com]
Hotrod Lincoln #1275062 Sat Aug 04 2018 06:20 PM
H
'Bolter
OK- - - - -got the essential bits and pieces to make up my own PDR kit, for a fraction of what the ones on Ebay are selling for. Hot glue, angle iron, fender washers, and 1/4-20 flat head screws make up the basic components. I'll glue a screw and washer to the body panel, then use the angle iron with a series of holes drilled in it as a lever to lift the dent. A small square of plywood under the end of the angle iron will spread out the load at the fulcrum end of the lever. The hot melt glue gets released with alcohol, hopefully with no damage to the paint. If things work as planned, I'll write up a report on how it goes. The vehicles I'm experimenting on don't have enough value to worry about making a few mistakes- - - -any improvement at all will be welcome.
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #1275080 Sat Aug 04 2018 09:12 PM
M
'Bolter
Sound plan, looking forward to the results. My wife's new truck (back in '15) was foolishly parked under a boisD'arc tree in July when it was new. Luckily the two boisD'arc apples hit the roof. I've tried to pop the dents out with a can of air with Freon (or propane) as the propellant/cooling agent in direct, hot sunlight without much luck. Your system might just be the ticket. The good news is 3/4 ton, 4X4s these days are so tall that the only ones that see the dent are class 8 truckers and they've never criticized.

Last edited by moparguy; Sat Aug 04 2018 09:13 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop