The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Tech Tip Highlight

Get your truck ready for winter
This old Tech Tip stands the test of time

Check for details

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (1Plowboy, D B Cooper, bluesman, carryall jerry, DennisM, EchoBravoSierra, 2 invisible), 181 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics113,516
Posts894,035
Members41,350
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1959 Apache Stepside Project #1274721
Thu Aug 02 2018 02:14 PM
Thu Aug 02 2018 02:14 PM
59ApacheMod  Offline OP
Moderated
Houston, TX
Hello All

New to Stovebolt. I have a 1959 Chevy Apache that I am beginning to work on. Planning on keeping it patina. Not planning to go back to bare metal and repaint. But will make the interior plush with fresh paint. It’s all original body parts which is awesome. Started as a CALi truck. I am now the 3rd owner. Only thing is the current (non running) engine and trans came from a 1968/1969 Chevelle. 396 & 400Turbo. All the casting numbers are good and matching.

In the process of deciding engine and also how to improve ride in the 59. I don’t have welding/fab skills. Considering putting her on a Square Body C10 frame (73-87). Can’t afford a custom chassis. Not planning to race her. It will be a pleasure cruiser with occasional rubber layed down at red lights. Haha :D

I do have a few questions that I may ask on the other forums. In the meantime, if you’re up for offering any advice or tips I am all ears. This is my first ever restoration / Restomod.

Thanks

CB

Re: 1959 Apache Stepside Project [Re: 59ApacheMod] #1274791
Fri Aug 03 2018 01:23 AM
Fri Aug 03 2018 01:23 AM
Achipmunk  Offline
Extreme Gabster
Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Lots of ways to approach a rebuild/resto but the main thing is to have a plan for what you want your truck to be. I've always like the twin headlights but one never came my way when I was searching.

One thing I have preached to my everyday, and Stovebolt buddies, is to do at least 15 minutes EVERY day. It is amazing what will get done and your accomplishments will be motivators to keep at it. It is a process and it takes time and money so be committed to it when you start.

This may be new to some folks...and not everyone can do it, but on my last build, my panel, I prepared each piece as I took it apart. When the fenders came off they were blasted and coated and put up....then the next piece and then the next. I always had some parts finished and some ready to finish. Sometime I just took the time and ordered some "small stuff" each month and stored them. Then, the day I finished blasting the chassis and coating it I had all the stuff to put it back together.....in the end, it was satisfying/fun, to take it apart and work on it...and fun putting it back together.
...ok, I've said enough.

Good luck and, as you mentioned, post questions in the garage forum and let us help you along the journey.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: 1959 Apache Stepside Project [Re: 59ApacheMod] #1274814
Fri Aug 03 2018 02:27 AM
Fri Aug 03 2018 02:27 AM
69Cuda  Offline
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Seattle, Wa.
welcome to the site! Ditto what Alvin said!! make a plan, do a little each day, and you'll get there!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop