The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (DJMTruck, Johnny N, 49nut, 2ManyTrucks, Harold46, baldeagle), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,773
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: preping bare metal for primer ?
#127271 Sat Jul 14 2007 02:01 PM
Apprentice
Sounds like good sound advice Bill...And She'll enjoy the chocolate..

#127272 Sat Jul 14 2007 09:27 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
autobodystore.com has a "classroom" and discussion board that goes over this dilemna in detail. you've got to watch what you put to inhibit rust (they like "picklex") because some of the stuff is incompatible with etching primers. i'm doing the same, strip to bare metal, fill and some day epoxy prime. in the meantime i'm using eastwood's metal prep and have had really good luck in keeping the flash rust at bay.

The procedure, as I understand it, is first strip, do rust treatment and then the panel repairs, epoxy prime (PPG dp40lf, for example), two or three coats of surfacer (ppg k36 or k38 for example), apply guide coat and block sand the living daylights out of the thing and then you're ready for your base/clear. Note that the epoxy primer must be topcoated within a week or it loses it's "bite". It's not the end of the world, you just need to scuff it and give it another coat.

[b]1957 Chevy Big Window 3100[.b]

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Picasa

It ain't broke 'til you can't fix it any more.
#127273 Sun Jul 15 2007 06:48 PM
B
OK, i do this for a living!

If you sandblasted it and let's say you intend to do somemore work in a day or to, use the metal prep, put it on good and wet and leave it alone, by this I mean don't put your hands on it at all, it will protect it for a few days from the air, that is if it's in or under some kinda structure, some of these type products won't allow Epoxy to adhere to them so you need to know what products do what, if you can't afford to by the good stuff, you will get what you pay for! sorry for that last comment but it's the truth, many people have come into my shop with these spray can products on their ride, this stuff will almost always cause more problems then they fix!

You can go to any PPG store and buy Black or grey Epoxy (never white,no rust inhibitors) with the hardner for 60-70 bucks, this with some reducer is enough to do quite abit of work, just remember, epoxies are sealer type products, just cover the metal don't try to FILL it! Epoxies won't last for ever so get some two part primer/2K (not Laquar) on it as soon as possible!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop