The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (1953 panel, dunfire, carbking, 49CoolBus, DaveV, Allen Lane, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,420
Posts885,233
Members41,089
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
46 Dual Action Shocks Question #1270825
Sun Jul 01 2018 03:06 PM
Sun Jul 01 2018 03:06 PM
S
Stan Dereniwski  Offline OP
New Guy
Alberta
I pulled the front shocks off the 46, I think they've been on since new. They are the dual action type. There was no resistance moving the arm in either direction. I remove the plug and got only a few drops of oil out. Have slowly re-filled them with hydraulic oil, working the arm, resting, re-filling until they appear full. There is certainly resistance now, but not uniform through the entire range of motion. The arm moves, then seems to hit a tight spot, then with more force moves again.
My question is with a properly functioning knee action shock should you expect smooth resistance in both directions like a modern tube shock or are the knee action shocks somewhat different?

Re: 46 Dual Action Shocks Question [Re: Stan Dereniwski] #1270832
Sun Jul 01 2018 04:18 PM
Sun Jul 01 2018 04:18 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
First, they probably aren't "dual action". Most lever shocks work only on rebound, not compression. Second, "knee action" was a self-contained suspension system that was used on cars in the late 1930's, never on trucks. It was not very successful, and was discontinued pretty quickly. A lever-type shock should have very little restriction as the spring compresses, and a fairly stiff resistance as the spring rebounds. It sounds like your shocks have lost their fluid, probably due to bushing wear and/or worn seals.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=159035

Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: 46 Dual Action Shocks Question [Re: Stan Dereniwski] #1270875
Sun Jul 01 2018 09:44 PM
Sun Jul 01 2018 09:44 PM
Tiny  Offline
Global Mod
South Central Kansas
It seems trucks could be ordered with dual action shocks in '46. Stock shocks were single action. For clarity there is a difference between lever action and knee action. Jerry is correct that Chevy cars had Dubonet (also called Knee Action) shocks in the '30s on some cars. In '38 they were standard on the Master Deluxe with single action lever action shocks standard on the Master. Many people use the terms interchangeably but that's not accurate and can cause confusion. Imagine telling a vendor you want xxxxx parts for knee action shocks and when they arrive they don't fit anything on your lever action shocks. Not criticizing, just informing. You are far from the first to use the term and won't be the last.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Re: 46 Dual Action Shocks Question [Re: Tiny] #1272279
Thu Jul 12 2018 11:05 PM
Thu Jul 12 2018 11:05 PM
S
Stan Dereniwski  Offline OP
New Guy
Alberta
Update to my original post. Firstly they are single not dual action. So I pulled off the front, they were nearly dry with no resistance in either direction. Filled them with hydraulic oil and they recovered very well, free travel upwards and stiff resistance in the rebound direction. So excited, this has been my truck since the age of 15, some 46 years now. Thinking these shocks were likely not functioning all these years, I expected to feel the difference on my first bumpy road test. But, to my disappointment, any difference was almost unnoticeable. Did these shocks ever make a difference when new?

Re: 46 Dual Action Shocks Question [Re: Stan Dereniwski] #1272316
Fri Jul 13 2018 11:48 AM
Fri Jul 13 2018 11:48 AM
Tiny  Offline
Global Mod
South Central Kansas
There is some benefit but as you see not a lot. That's why manufacturers eventually went from friction shocks to single action lever shocks to double action, to tube shocks and on from there. I had a nasty wheel hop on my '38. Overhauling the stock lever action shocks didn't solve it so I ended up putting tube shocks on the front and that solved the wheel hop.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Re: 46 Dual Action Shocks Question [Re: Stan Dereniwski] #1272453
Sat Jul 14 2018 11:51 AM
Sat Jul 14 2018 11:51 AM
D
dunfire  Online
Shop Shark
Palm Harbor, FL
The single action shocks, (all have been rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics) that I have on my 36 have made huge difference in the ride.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop