The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (1953 panel, dunfire, carbking, 49CoolBus, DaveV, Allen Lane, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,420
Posts885,233
Members41,089
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1271945
Tue Jul 10 2018 02:55 AM
Tue Jul 10 2018 02:55 AM
52Carl  Offline
Master Gabster
Virginia
Dang DG! That contraption looks to be stout enough to push the screw right through the housing. Did you do that on purpose just in case the screw wouldn't budge? smile
There was a guy around here who specialized in pulling the idiot off-road mudders out of the swamps. His motto was, "I'll pull you out, or pull you apart."
Carl

Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1271949
Tue Jul 10 2018 03:17 AM
Tue Jul 10 2018 03:17 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
Carl, the whole concept is to keep the driver blade bottomed out in the slot tight enough that the only thing the screw can do is turn- - - -no way for the driver to cam itself out of the slot and bollux it up. Once the slot is damaged, about the only option then is to drill it out. Some of those screws can be TIGHT! We used a smaller-scale but similar tool to remove stubborn screws for access panels on airplanes back when I was in the USAF.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1271963
Tue Jul 10 2018 07:42 AM
Tue Jul 10 2018 07:42 AM
D
Denny Graham  Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
Sandwich, IL
Right on Jerry. With all that leverage, the blade would bust off before it jumped out of the slot.
Had a bunch of the 1.250 x 2 rectangular tubing around Carl, and been using it up for all my
projects. The stiffer the better and this made for a real nice rigid setup. Machined all the
pivot points in the mill so there isn't any slop in it either.
For some reason I just can't quit making tools to get the job done. Doesn't leave any time
to....get the job done. I remember something my brother once said of my dad after he passed away.
"He spent all is time getting ready, not enough time on the projects themselves."
Must be where I get it from.
DG

Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1271974
Tue Jul 10 2018 12:10 PM
Tue Jul 10 2018 12:10 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
An old-school German gunsmith I once knew had a similar obsession with sharp tools. Now, it's essential to have razor-sharp chisels, gouges, etc. when doing something like making a custom gunstock from a hunk of well-cured hardwood, and the fancier the grain, the more important it is to be able to make precise cuts, but this guy went a little overboard. "First ve sharpen der knife- - - - -den ve cut der vood!" The problem was that he spent far too much time on "der knife" to be very effective at getting the project done! When he finally got finished, I will admit that he did some very impressive whittling, however!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1272020
Tue Jul 10 2018 06:16 PM
Tue Jul 10 2018 06:16 PM
D
Denny Graham  Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
Sandwich, IL
Well when I get done "whittling" away at Old Blue.......I won't have an impressive Stovebolt,
but.....she'll be a dependable old gal, still built just like her engineers designed her 68 years ago.
dg

Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1272077
Wed Jul 11 2018 01:50 AM
Wed Jul 11 2018 01:50 AM
tclederman  Offline
Boltergeist
Jarvisburg, NC
thumbs_up

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 47 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1272080
Wed Jul 11 2018 02:24 AM
Wed Jul 11 2018 02:24 AM
52Carl  Offline
Master Gabster
Virginia
I dig the art of making tools, man. I get what you have created. I made a tool to hold the pinion yoke to allow torquing down the pinion nut to collapse the crush collar to set the bearing preload. It is made up of a long handle and ragged scrap metal bits welded to it and drill for the threaded holes in the yoke. It works like a champ and hangs on the wall for easy access, should a herd of zombies get the sneak on me. Its a little on the medieval side, in appearance.

Re: Rebuild that Generator [Re: Denny Graham] #1272253
Thu Jul 12 2018 04:41 PM
Thu Jul 12 2018 04:41 PM
D
Denny Graham  Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
Sandwich, IL
Got me a generator back on Old Blue and after 8 months of not drivin' her.....I'm sure
glad the old gal is back to work.
Had one 'ell of a time handling that generator one handed, especially since me one
hand is the one that is connected to that broken wrist, which will never heal right thanks
to the quack that treated me.
So....I called me old stovebolt buddy, WelderDave to give me a hand from the top side,
holding the mass up whilest I put the bolts in from the bottom side. But......then had a
temper flare up before Dave got here and got it all bolted up just as he was pulling into the drive.
Although the armature was shot, I still wanted to see if I could save the burned coils from
my original generator. I pealed back all the burned tape and re-wrapped it after verifying
that there weren't any shorted or open coil loops. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/167798390
dg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop