The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (carryall jerry, 55 SHAKER, ASU, 66flea, 53 green 1- ton, DennisM, 1 invisible), 298 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,769
Posts920,111
Members42,336
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Installing a new on/off switch #1227722 Sun Jul 30 2017 08:17 PM
C
Chuck53 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Scored a whole new on/off switch Delco 7256188 for my 1951 chevy radio.

Have not removed the radio yet and was just wondering if replacing this switch is as easy as it sounds. I know there are a gang of three switches and I hope I can just label the wires, remove a nut and the switch will come out.

Have a new speaker to install also. I have saved a thread that talks about replacing a three wire speaker with a two wire speaker so that should go pretty good.

Also have read about tying the radio up for support so that it will not fall on its face and ruin the new switch.

The radio works I just have to jiggle and current switch to make it work. All caps have been replaced.

Anything else I need to do while I have it apart.

Thanks,
Chuck

51 Chevy 5 window

Chuck,

'51 5 Window 3104
'47 Chevy Fleetmaster
Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1227733 Sun Jul 30 2017 11:34 PM
truckernix Online
Master Gabster
It has been a while since I restored one but with at least one of the models you have to remove the main chassis and the tuner chassis to get access. Pay close attention to the wires that go to the tuning assembly because they can break off easily.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1228107 Wed Aug 02 2017 04:12 PM
F
Forty9 Offline
Shop Shark
Might be worth spraying contact cleaner on the switch before attempting replacement. Nothing to lose.

Ed
Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1228921 Mon Aug 07 2017 07:14 PM
truckernix Online
Master Gabster
I have a better answer for you now. The early model with the slant back requires you to remove the chassis to change the audio control and switch. With the later model you can remove the front cover and change the control from there.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1231163 Mon Aug 21 2017 12:40 AM
C
Chuck53 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Truckernix - Got lucky and had the straight back. Was pretty simple like you said to get to the on/off gang switch. Thanks for the information.

Forty9 - For some reason it did not cross my mind to try contact cleaner. I did give the gang a good 1/4 to 1/2 can spray. Probably way to much but if a little is good then a lot must be great. smile yahoo Seems to make the switch work much better. Thanks for reminding me of the obvious.

To All - Worked on my radio today. Looks like I may have it working close to the way it should. I replaced the old speaker with a new speaker and it sounds a little better. Also tuned the antenna trimmer and now I can get several AM radio stations loud enough I have to turn down the radio. As it stands now because the on/off switch is so easy to get to I am going to save my new one and see if the cleaned up continues to work.

Last edited by Chuck53; Mon Aug 21 2017 12:41 AM. Reason: Relocate Icons

Chuck,

'51 5 Window 3104
'47 Chevy Fleetmaster
Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1231170 Mon Aug 21 2017 01:13 AM
truckernix Online
Master Gabster
That is good news. frequent use sometimes will keep the contacts clean. When the switch mechanism starts to disintegrate it feels different . Sometimes it is difficult to turn off or on and easy going the other way.

As far as gain goes, I find that getting the antenna well above the roof of the cab makes a big difference. I live in an area with very weak AM band signals. The big problem for me is remembering to put the antenna down before backing into the garage!

1951 1 Ton Completed

Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1267841 Sat Jun 02 2018 01:53 AM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Ah men Fred. When I was a 100% purist that trick cost me a couple of those fancy expensive reproduction antennas.
Now a days I finally gave in and submitted my sole to the 95% purist in me and use one of those $15 spring mounted
antennas found on the end cap at the NAPA store. Now when I forget and back into the garage with the whip in full
erection, I can simply reach out and bend it around till I can collapse the telescope.
Chuck.....if you found an original replacement on/off/volume/tone control.......you found not only a piece of history,
but you found a piece of gold.
I've been looking for one of those since 2005, and I at one time was VERY heavily into tube radio. Back ten or fifteen
years ago, I was a member of the Antique Radio Club of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and made all the swap meets
for those clubs for a couple of decades. I was in regular contact with hundreds of collectors and parts hordes in the hobby.
I'm still stuck with 300 tube radios which are collecting dust in the basement. They range from 20's AK breadboards, one tube
RCA Radiolas, thru 40's table and console units, 25,000 tubes and hundreds of vintage test pieces......but still...... no
on/off/volume/tone control for an early AD radio.
So when you're holding that control........remember.......you're holding gold.
Hope you're still staying healthy Fred, take care my friend.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1267915 Sat Jun 02 2018 07:57 PM
truckernix Online
Master Gabster
Those switches are few and far between. I think the 51 Chev car or there abouts, had a similar control but it may not have the flat side on the mounting thread. I don't know why Chev went to the switching tone circuit.

Denny,
I am doing great thanks. I just came back from a journey in my 38, visiting an automotive flea market and show. I love this time of year!

Fred

1951 1 Ton Completed

Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1270301 Tue Jun 26 2018 08:49 AM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Got your email Chuck, and sent you one back.
Thanks very, very much for the heads up, much appreciated.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: Installing a new on/off switch [Re: Chuck53] #1270391 Wed Jun 27 2018 12:49 AM
C
Chuck53 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Denny, your welcome. I can't always provide mechanical type info so I always look for other ways to help. I saw the email this afternoon.
Chuck

Chuck,

'51 5 Window 3104
'47 Chevy Fleetmaster

Moderated by  truckernix 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop