Well, that nice little corner patch I built is now redundant. I began cleaning the lower door bottom with my wire wheel a little bit and I have pinholes everywhere along the bottom of the door. They showed up as I worked the wire wheel. I examined things more closely and see I have lots of issues with moisture and rust inside the door.
I formulated a game plan. Cut out the rust. Simple isn’t it? Well, the bottom of my door is now gone. The lower lip, the “belly of the door that nearly touches the rocker, the curved area near the lower hinge bolt holes have been sliced out. I feel this will be my most challenging sheet metal task to date. My wife gasped when she saw how the door looked tonight.
“Why did you do that?!” she questioned.
“Because it’s no good.”
“Is there another way?” she asked.
“Oh, there are others but none of those are the proper way...”
So needless to say I’ve bit a lot to chew. The door fit great before tonight, hopefully all is well when I’m done fixing this mess.https://photos.app.goo.gl/KzxDwzFvAGHzSF3b8
I only have a few preliminary pictures that show how I masked it off to cut and the extent of the rust pinholes. They are on the outer skin, the belly, the front lower curve. More cancer pictures to come. The door looked good before I started but it is truly in need of surgery. Grandpa’s truck has to be done right.
So much for just one patch and sealing up the inside. Yeesh. Hours to go...
I also cut out the right door window bump stop bracket. It was crooked as sin. The factory welded it in place very poorly. Two spots welds held it and they barely had any meat holding it in place. I literally twisted it out of there. I blasted it clean, prepped it and then shot it in gloss black.
Doors: 4 hours