The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (BC59, greenie-reddy, AD8, Justhorsenround, Greg Stong, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,515
Posts956,958
Members43,424
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
250W rear end lube
#1264925 Sun May 06 2018 02:26 PM
M
Shop Shark
I may try sawdust in the HO52, 4.11 differential in my 51, 3600. When I bought the first set of 4.11's I found last year I could see the ring gear was pitted but the clearances and bearings all seemed fine so I went with it. With a fill of Lucas it was acceptably quite around the house and trips to town. I did later add a small bottle of STP and it got a bit quieter.

Well, on last weeks 1,300 mile (round) trip to Luckenbach I learned that constant driving causes the Lucas/STP soup to break down, it becomes less viscous and the carrier howls like a banshee.

Since a new ring/pinion set is made from unobtanium I'm likely going to pick up another set of 4.11's and be a little more picky. Till then I'm thinking of trying this. [summitracing.com] Which is 250W gear oil.

For those that don't click on the link;

"PSC Swepco 203 Moly gear oil features the very finest quality base stocks, suspension-grade moly, and an exhaustively tested additive package which includes Lubium, Swepco's highly effective extreme-pressure/anti-oxidant additive. This unique combination provides the ultimate in protection for high temperature, heavy load, and extreme-service operation of most industrial gear boxes, manual transmissions, final drives and power take off units. For proven performance, use Swepco 203!"

Anyone been down this path and have comments? If so I'm definitely interested.

Thanks, RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Fri May 01 2020 01:30 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: 250W rear end lub
moparguy #1264927 Sun May 06 2018 02:43 PM
H
Boltergeist
The ad copy sounds like it was written by P.T. Barnum. If it's not terribly expensive it might be worth a try before you go searching for another gear set. Was any attempt made to adjust the tooth contact pattern when you installed the rear end with the pits in the gears? If so, that's probably the source of the howl. Once a wear pattern is established, trying to change it usually ends up with a gear whine.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
moparguy #1264935 Sun May 06 2018 03:17 PM
M
Shop Shark
On adjusting the clearances, No Sir. I went down that path 20 years ago with a set of Mopar 3.55s in an 8.75" differential. Finally gave up and let her growl. Now I am a bit more sensitive to bad mechanical sounds than some and with the current loud gear set you can't hear them from 10 feet away if I drive by like some I've heard. It did put me to wearing ear plugs last week though.

1970 340 Duster
1951 Farmall Super A

moparguy #1264939 Sun May 06 2018 03:47 PM
H
Boltergeist
I've had pretty good luck with Moly additives in rear ends, not so much where transmissions are concerned- - - -they make things too slippery for synchronizers to work right. Other than adding a bit of drag due to thickness, the 250 weight lube might cushion the gears enough to reduce the hum, if not eliminate it altogether. 60-something years' worth of jet engines, race engines and deer rifles has left me with the constant whistle of tinnitus to deal with, so a lot of noises I used to hear don't bother me anymore. I don't hear high-pitched noises, but a low-frequency hum still gets through.
Jerry

moparguy #1358072 Fri May 01 2020 01:20 PM
M
Shop Shark
I'm a little late updating this thread smile. But was just reading a comment by HRL about ring/pinion gear noise and I dug this up for review and update.

I did buy a gallon of the PSC Swepco 203 Moly gear oil mentioned above. Been driving the truck locally for the past couple years adding 4ish thousand miles to the odometer. The ring/pinion gear noise has gotten considerable quiter. I do believe the Swepco gear oil is responsible.

The noisy gears were pulled from a truck that'd been sitting for many years and condensation caused the bottom ring gear teeth to pit pretty good (bad?). My theory is driving has worn the pitted mating surfaces in a bit. That along with the 250W lube with it's additive package have made a considerable and noticeable improvement as in I can't hear the rearend anymore.

Truck does have the muddy weather, winter rough tread rear tires and they do make a noticeable amount of noise. The real results will be apparent in a few weeks when I put the summer road tires back on the rear.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Fri May 01 2020 01:32 PM.

1970 340 Duster
1951 Farmall Super A

moparguy #1358214 Sat May 02 2020 04:28 AM
H
Boltergeist
Good on ya! I'm going to guess that a new contact pattern is developing and smoothing out the pits as it does. It will quiet down, but the backlash will increase somewhat as a new wear pattern gets established.

Speaking of "sawdust"- - - -an old-time mechanic I knew back in the 1970's used a similar trick. He had a 216 engine with a noisy connecting rod, and no shims left to remove to quiet it down. He sent his kids around to all the restaurants, bars, and grocery stores in his neighborhood, collecting beer and soda bottle caps. Back then, there was a cork gasket under each cap. He packed the oil pan full of hundreds of those pieces of cork, added 4 cans of STP and a gallon of 90 weight gear oil to the crankcase, and traded the car in on a slightly newer model at the local Chevy dealer. He said it ran pretty quiet until they decided to change the oil.
Jerry

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop