The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,111
Posts913,473
Members42,120
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nothing But Static #1251665
Fri Jan 19 2018 10:36 PM
Fri Jan 19 2018 10:36 PM
R
Rugo  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Gilbert, Arizona, USA
Hello all,

I have a 53 3100, with the factory 986443 radio in it. I had the radio restored by Ray Holland. I happened to live, not more than 5 miles from him, at the time. The rebuild was probably around 12 years ago. Just about one year ago to the day, I installed it in my truck. It worked great. I have probably only played it for a total of 3 hours. The last few times I drove my truck, it seemed to have far more background noise that it did previous. Today, I was driving my truck, radio had some background noise, but was you could clearly hear music. I shut it off, for about 10 minutes. Came back out, started up my truck and turned on the radio. Nothing but static. I wiggled the antenna wire around a bit. Even pulled the antenna wire out of the radio. There was no audible difference, if the antenna wire in plugged in or out. Anybody got any suggestions?

I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you in advance.
Rugo

Steve Rugg
53 3100
Re: Nothing But Static [Re: Rugo] #1251674
Fri Jan 19 2018 11:46 PM
Fri Jan 19 2018 11:46 PM
truckernix  Offline
Master Gabster
Bracebridge Ontario Canada
I actually had and repaired a very similar problem in my truck radio a few months ago. If you want to pull it out and run it on the bench I may be able to help you. Mine was due to a bad 100Pf capacitor in the final detector stage. They are tiny capacitors which are normally not replaced in a rebuild. To speed the process up, I pulled tubes one by one from the first input stage until the noise stopped. The one frustrating thing that can happen is that you pull it out and it might work perfect again. If it were mine, I would run it for a while in the truck to make sure it will stay broken!

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: Nothing But Static [Re: Rugo] #1251679
Sat Jan 20 2018 12:13 AM
Sat Jan 20 2018 12:13 AM
R
Rugo  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Gilbert, Arizona, USA
truckernix

Thank for your response to my original question. I have just come in from the garage. I pulled my truck out of the garage, and onto the driveway. I know it doesn't seem to get a strong a signal in the garage. I shut the engine off. Also, I was able to extend my antenna all the up. I was able to tune in the station that I was listening to, prior to the radio going out. It is very week and lots of static. Not sure if that fits with the capacitor diagnosis or not. Given the new info, are you still thinking capacitor? Or, do you think it may have something to do with the antenna? Thanks again for your help.

Rugo

Steve Rugg
53 3100
Re: Nothing But Static [Re: Rugo] #1251691
Sat Jan 20 2018 01:24 AM
Sat Jan 20 2018 01:24 AM
truckernix  Offline
Master Gabster
Bracebridge Ontario Canada
This is in my experience a fairly rare type of problem. The radio has an automatic gain control that reacts to the signal strength of a station. So with a radio operating correctly, the removal of the antenna pretty much removes any source of static. Sometimes with the antenna out you can here some power supply noise but this is irrelevant. If you wanted to pursue some trouble shooting I would suggest the tube removal sequence that I described. That would probably isolate the stage pretty quickly. If you a volt meter I could probably walk you through further steps. It does sound very similar to the problem I had and as I said it is a rather unusual one. I swapped out my radio for my spare maybe four times over a few years only to have it behave on the bench. In the end it malfunctioned on the bench and I was able to diagnose the problem.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: Nothing But Static [Re: Rugo] #1259740
Thu Mar 22 2018 09:10 PM
Thu Mar 22 2018 09:10 PM
491ton  Offline
Shop Shark
Iowa
I have a 49 Chevy 1-ton, My radio was done mostly by Fred. Thanks again!! And my radio worked but would pick only pick up one or two stations along with a loud hum. I just didn't use the radio. Then about a year ago I purchased the original type reproduction antenna for about 75.00 The radio now works perfect. The original reproduction antenna is very good quality, Fits perfect, And must be 5' long! Terry PS. I think I bought it from Jim Carter or Classic trucks.

Re: Nothing But Static [Re: Rugo] #1259820
Fri Mar 23 2018 11:39 AM
Fri Mar 23 2018 11:39 AM
R
Rugo  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Gilbert, Arizona, USA
491ton,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you were able to get your radio issue resolved. Unfortunately, mine doesn't appear to be as simple of a fix. I already have an excellent reproduction antenna. I believe it was from Chev's of the 40's. The radio worked perfectly for almost a year. Then started the static, that I described in my original post. I even went out and purchased a inexpensive universal antenna, to use to test for a bad antenna. The reception was just as bad. The oldies station that I was listening to, isn't the most powerful station. I have since tuned it to a stronger station. While you can hear the new station better, it is still not nearly as strong and clean a signal as it used to be. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

Rugo

Steve Rugg
53 3100

Moderated by  truckernix 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop