The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (‘37ChevyPU, klhansen, Rsqwhite), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,471
Posts1,031,725
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How much paint
#1257808 Wed Mar 07 2018 04:58 PM
S
Super55 Offline OP
'Bolter
How much paint does it take to paint a 2 ton frame? I was thinking of using Zero Rust. I thought of Por-15, but did a search on this site and it looks like the Zero Rust is just as good or even better. I may top coat it too, so it doesn't fade. Zero Rust says to put on 2 coats. I was wondering how much I need to buy. If any body has done this let me know how much paint I should get.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton [stovebolt.com]
Re: How much paint
Super55 #1257817 Wed Mar 07 2018 06:55 PM
Bubba - Curmudgeon

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Super55 #1257934 Thu Mar 08 2018 09:06 PM
'Bolter
Paul, a quart did my 1/2 ton pickup with two coats and had just a bit left over. You'll need a little more.

Don't try to do it all in one coat..... note: most paint supply stores, if any size at all, now stock the POR 15 so a discount may be available if you know someone with an account plus there is no shipping.

It tells you to seal it tight. I drill a 1/4" hole in the top of the can and then, making sure the top is clean, seal it with a piece of duct tape. I have a small pint can I have used several times for over a year and it still flows out good. Be sure to use only small amounts at one time as this stuff will dry fast. That is why I like drilling a hole in the top. instead of opening and closing the lid every few minutes. Buy disposable brushes and don't be afraid to toss one every few minute so you can keep spreading it nice and smooth. (although it levels out pretty nicely)

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Super55 #1257954 Fri Mar 09 2018 01:24 AM
S
Super55 Offline OP
'Bolter
Alvin, have you ever tried Zero Rust? I have some of that already, and if I want a gallon of Por-15 it's on sale for $150 CDN locally. Also, should I paint everything on the chassis, like the brake lines and vacuum lines? Leaving the fittings free of paint on those lines. I was using a fibre wheel today and it's amazing I think there is still original paint in places. If I go with either Zero Rust or Por-15 I still need to top coat it to avoid fading.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton [stovebolt.com]
Super55 #1258006 Fri Mar 09 2018 03:56 PM
F
Shop Shark
Zero Rust is same as Poor15 without the price and marketing BS. They are both moisture cured urethane... not science fiction... just paint.
Both are better coatings when applied to bare steel but will stick to a preexisting coating (paint) just fine.
Frames don't get direct sunlight so fade shouldn't be a concern, but if it is, you could use a polyurethane or a simple Alkyd enamel like Rustoleum over top the Zero Rust but unless you are building a trailer queen, I doubt you need to be concerned with fade.
Keep the Zero Rust off anything that is a "serviceable" item such as brake lines etc.... concentrate on the frame and anything riveted (or bolted) to the frame. Keep it off anything that you are wearing because it will ruin what it gets on because you will not get it off. Wear gloves because you will not get it off your hands!
One coat is sufficient. Keep moving... work fast because your brush will start to harden up as you work with it. Buy lots of cheap brushes and toss them when they get stiff and grab a new one. You are not going to clean them.
I wouldn't buy a gallon because once you open it, it starts to cure in the can. Buy quarts, once opened, plan to use it all because you can't save this paint... like I said..once you open the can, it will start to harden. It will WELD the lid on if you try to seal the can and save some for later.
I'd think that two quarts would be enough, but buy three and keep the receipt so you can return any unopened cans.
Good luck. Post picture please.... we all like pictures!

~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Super55 #1258019 Fri Mar 09 2018 04:31 PM
G
Shop Shark
If you’re going with the por-15 it won’t stick to a smooth service. It likes sand blasted or rusted surfaces. Also won’t stick to a wire wheeled service. It will peel off in sheets even if you use the acid etch they sell.

These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Super55 #1258969 Sat Mar 17 2018 07:22 AM
N
'Bolter
The prep is everything with the POR15...and it's easy to screw it up. I sandblasted, then used their degreaser, then their acid etch. The thing is, if you don't keep the acid wet during the process from beginning to end, and if you don't get every last bit of it rinsed off of the metal, the POR15 will do horrible things. Do it right, and it will be as good as, or better than powder coat. I have had both good experiences and bad experiences with POR15- the bad times were when I rushed a process and didn't follow the instructions to the letter, or when laid it on when it was just too darn cold to be painting with it. If it's done right, you can hammer on it and it will not chip off. You can buy a gallon of it, but go to the hardware store and get a couple empty quart cans and then right when you open the gallon can, pour half of it into them and seal them immediately- use those cans last- it'll keep for a good while that way.

As gonagain stated above, do NOT wire wheel the surface- it acts like a polisher and then there is nothing for the paint to adhere to.

As far as painting brake lines- if you have replaced the lines, then I see no problem with doing that, but if you still have original lines, I wouldn't paint over them, as they will be impossible to inspect after that, and at nearly 70 years old, it's probably getting close to the time when they should be replaced? Not something to mess round with, especially if you plan on keeping the single circuit brake system. Just my .02

Dave

Clutch head screws have stolen too many hours from my life....

1950 Chevy 3600 (resto-something) - the work resumes...
https://goo.gl/photos/8t5mLuj4JZebvGq49

1951(?) GMC flatbed that is now a flower garden:
https://goo.gl/photos/H79pvKhHLxjNiR149
Super55 #1259010 Sat Mar 17 2018 04:24 PM
C
'Bolter
Zero Rust is fantastic. It has helped me restore a couple m00stangs and my truck.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop